• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop turns off while\after burning\ripping a CD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicspits

My friend has a D600 that I just got her, cleaned it up, got her nero 6, etc. Today she gave me a ringer because after she burns a CD it will simply switch off, not shut down, but right off. She said the same thing has happened in WMP after ripping some MP3s from her CDs.

Any clew on this one, could the CD drive be getting too hot?

She did say she got an error message referring to a bad plugin or something so all the optional "somethings" had been disabled in WMP. All help is greatly appreciated and desperately need, she's hot so come on guys, lets do one for a hottie in stilhettos ;)

Firstly, just make sure she's not running on battery while burning as from what I've heard it really kills the battery.

Hmm think think think... have you tried ASPI layers and things like that? It almost seems like a combination of hardware and software.

I'll stop speculating and let the next person make me seem stupid ;)

violineb said:
Firstly, just make sure she's not running on battery while burning as from what I've heard it really kills the battery.

Hmm think think think... have you tried ASPI layers and things like that? It almost seems like a combination of hardware and software.

I'll stop speculating and let the next person make me seem stupid ;)
to tel you the truth i wanted to say something to that effect earlier. using CD/DVD-ROM intensive proggies on a laptop battery is bad...

I thought i'd back you up instead of making you look stoopid... :)

ok next question to rule out the battery... does this happen if the laptop is plugged in?

Okee dokee guys.

Well, she was burning with the laptop plugged in, but it appears that uninstalling all of Nero did the trick. She has since burned 2 CDs using WMP and it hasn't "done it". So it looks like just a boched install or update package went in and screwed up a plug in or something or other.

Also, I did the whole AS5 replacement on the laptop, which is a D600 w/ 1.4ghz PM, and I set I8kfangui aggressively, thus the beast doesn't get over 125F CPU(P95), 128F HD(speed disk tested), and 130F Dimm (P95). I believe that's all very good for max temps on a single fan cooling solution laptop, I know the HD is a little hot and if anyone here has ideas on how to make those things cooler, I'm all ears (not those fan pads, modification would be nice).

Thanks for all the help and if you like, please explain the ASPI theory to me as I do not know what it is at all. Thanks again!!!

-Nic

Glad you got it all sorted out. About the hot hdd. If it's right below plastic you could try drilling lots of small holes so that it would vent directly out of the case. It might not help at all and she might not like it...but it also might be the solution :) I never tried it as I have no need (my hdd runs at about 40c)

yeah, she would definately hit me for that, lol. it is right below the plastic D600 and all, very front left. It idles at that, but running an optimization program like speed disk cooks it up. I'm getting her a newer one, 5400rpm 8mb cache WD scorpio, I think it'll run cooler.

Thanks again for the help,
more backstory: when installing nero and it listing all the files its loading, it did get one of those red error things but it didn't prompt that it was important etc. goofy huh. I guess try and install until it's perfect :)

I had issues with Nero of late myself.

Bieng a user of Adaptec(version4) for many moons. I got a copy of Nero 6 with my burner. All was fine and dandy. Until I went and updated the thing. I wasted like $1.17 trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. I was getting errors right before the finalizaton of the disc.

I did an unistall and removed any folders of Ahead I could find and (not nessesary)registry keys. So far no more errors.

I got that dam red error every time the Smart start would try and load up(even after installing fresh). So I figured it was the update that borked the thing. Overwriting the folder did not help. Complete removal of all Ahead files and folders prior to reinstall was the key.

They can keep the updates!

Back