• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus m4a785-m + Athlon x3 425

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what would cause cores temps to be sow low compared to my tcase temp (is that right? tcase=cpu temp) and what could i do to lower that temp? better case airfolw? or lowering a particular voltage?
What does HWMonitor show for the CPU and the core after 2-3 minutes of Prime95 ...?

sorry, i've had famly stuff to do. anyway, Quietice, you asked what temps in hardware monitor for cpu and cores. it passed a 500 minute run on LinX. cpu temp~52c max and core temps~39c according to cpuid hw monitor

prime95 temps were a little lower, maybe -2c for cpu, and -3c for cores. so ~50c cpu, ~36c, but I assume you're asking the temp 3 minutes in for a reason. I dont have the computer here with me right now, but i don't think it heated up too quickly, as i think that's where you are going with this. I know the CM Hyper 101 isn't the greatest HSF, but i figured with 2 fans in a push/pull configuration would help it, and was thinking it wouldn't get TOO hot since its only a 3 core, and it seems the cores temps are reallty low compared to the cpu temp. I was thinking that maybe an 80 or 120mm fan pointed at the mobo would help a little, and when i get around to lowering voltages- if i can- the temps should drop a lil.

Last edited:
Your temps are fine so far. Sounds like you gave this system a lot of thought before you ordered parts. Your auntie probably won't appreciate all that you've struggled with but it sounds like its been a good learning experience for you.

prime95 temps were a little lower, maybe -2c for cpu, and -3c for cores. so ~50c cpu, ~36c, but I assume you're asking the temp 3 minutes in for a reason. I dont have the computer here with me right now, but i don't think it heated up too quickly, as i think that's where you are going with this. I know the CM Hyper 101 isn't the greatest HSF, but i figured with 2 fans in a push/pull configuration would help it, and was thinking it wouldn't get TOO hot since its only a 3 core, and it seems the cores temps are reallty low compared to the cpu temp. I was thinking that maybe an 80 or 120mm fan pointed at the mobo would help a little, and when i get around to lowering voltages- if i can- the temps should drop a lil.
It's the "CPU temp" I was most curious about, well, the difference between it and the core. Usually ASUS boards are pretty close so my guess would be maybe you've got some case airflow issues to work on. It really doesn't help to move 80 CFM of air across the CPU heatsink if your case is only moving 50 or 60 CFM of air through the case ... ;)

so the cpu temp being ~14c higher than the core temp isn't that great? besides bettet case ventilation, what else do you think i could do to reduce the cpu temp?
do you think that having ht overvoltage + vddnb over voltage + chipset over voltage set to AUTO could be the reason for the higher temp? do you think manually set each voltage, 1 at a time (testing in between) , would help keep the temp/s down?

And if so, would the values you suggested above be a good starting point for each, considering my current values: 240x13.5 (3240 MHz) 9xNB, 8xHT, + ddr2-800 @ 800 MHz?

I try to set as many important variables to manual as I can. That usually doesn't include the NB (chipset) or SB but it would definitely include the cpuNB voltage and speed, though that shouldn't have much of an impact on the CPU temp, which, again, is only a sensor under the CPU socket. It's just odd that the CPU temp is so much higher then the core temp. Usually when that happens it's a case airflow problem.

There's a good way to test for case airflow. Open the side of your case and point a room fan at it. If the temps go down a lot you may need better (or more) case fans ...

Thanks QuietIce, i put a fan on the side of the case, and lowered vcore a little, and the cpu temp dropped to ~44c under load, cores temps were ~35c, AND that was all with a +5 Mhz bump of ht ref too! now its 240x13.5 = 3307 MHz. Just wanted to thank you for all your help, its awesome that you take your time to help people who you don't even know. I very much appreciate the info, you helped me a bunch, I learned a lot, and my grandmother has a pretty decent computer that cost <$300. Have a Great day, Thanks again! Oh sorry, I forgot to thank trents too, so thanks for your help.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what would cause LinX to run without crashing, but the Gflops swing outta control? i was overlocking this rig a while back, and the normal gflops were ~ 37, but at a certain point in my overclocking trial it would go as high as 2000 and as low as -100. obviously something is seriously wrong with that, but any idea what would cause that? I ended up with a stable overclock, but as that was my first attempt at an AMD- and i think now i know a little more- I'd like to try over and see if i could do better. Just wondering if thats a sign of too high a cpu speed for the nb, or the other way around, or something else completely.

hey Quietice, been slowly overclocking this computer, but sometimes i get a realtek audio popup during stress testing that says an audio cable has been unplugged. kinda stumped on which voltage too raise to fix error, cpu/nb-cpu-or sb because the because the realtek chip is part of the sb I was told. I just don't want to up the wrong voltage, and confused to what the default and max safe voltage for the sb is, and also the ht voltage and nb votage are linked, not sure what the max for those are too. any ideas on that particular problem? since you're an "anything amd" guy, I was wondering if you've run into anything similar in your amd overclocking trials? and if so, what could help?

i'm going for max cpu overclock ONLY right now, everything else is @ default. Currently @ 3700 mhz 200x18.5, with nb@2000 mhz. do you think maybe that the cpu speed being so much higher than nb frequency is causing a bottleneck at these speeds? could that cause that error, or does that sound more like a voltage problem?

I'm gonna keep trying to figure this out, but ANY help would go a long way with me. Thanx in advance

Gflops?

Again, if you want to determine what stock voltages are for various things such as the chipset or the CPUNB, set eveything to default (usually F9 key while in bios) and load AMD Overdrive. Overdrive does a pretty good job of reporting voltages accurately as long as you haven't made changes manuall in bios. Also, it would be helpful if you would post screen shots of your bios. So we can look at the terminology employed and just as importantly, the context (area or section of the bios) a given line item is found in. As far as the audio popping, I wonder if you have your SB voltage set too high.

hey Quietice, been slowly overclocking this computer, but sometimes i get a realtek audio popup during stress testing that says an audio cable has been unplugged. kinda stumped on which voltage too raise to fix error, cpu/nb-cpu-or sb because the because the realtek chip is part of the sb I was told. I just don't want to up the wrong voltage, and confused to what the default and max safe voltage for the sb is, and also the ht voltage and nb votage are linked, not sure what the max for those are too. any ideas on that particular problem? since you're an "anything amd" guy, I was wondering if you've run into anything similar in your amd overclocking trials? and if so, what could help?

i'm going for max cpu overclock ONLY right now, everything else is @ default. Currently @ 3700 mhz 200x18.5, with nb@2000 mhz. do you think maybe that the cpu speed being so much higher than nb frequency is causing a bottleneck at these speeds? could that cause that error, or does that sound more like a voltage problem?

I'm gonna keep trying to figure this out, but ANY help would go a long way with me. Thanx in advance
I've never run into an audio problem but I did run into USB issues once - turned out to be a BIOS problem (not that I think that is your issue but you never know).

Once you hit 3.6 GHz you should increase the cpuNB speed to 2200 MHz for stability. That shouldn't require any kind of voltage bump - and I'm not sure you even have a cpuNB voltage option anyway? Wouldn't hurt to check for it.

NB chipset voltage should default to 1.3v for chipsets with IGP's. SB voltage is 1.2v stock. If you've got an independent HT Link voltage I have no clue. I've seen this option on a couple of boards but can't find it's stock setting in the documentation. :-/

cpuNB voltage range is 1.10-1.15v (edited voltage for Athlon II). The Phenom II X4's run 1.175-1.25v and I'm not sure which to use in your case ... ;)

My bad lol

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread! I was viewing two different posts of mine and posted this here instead of the thread for my MSI 870A-G54, but you stlll answered my question, sorry for the mistake, I'll make sure I never double post again.

Back