• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer time blues....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peanutbudder

Todays high was 38*c where I live and in my apartment the ambient temps were about 25-27*c which sucks. While I was folding today during the hottest part of the day my cpu broke 62*c on all cores and my gpus' hit 83*c. I miss the winter when I could fold all day @ 4.8ghz never breaking 45*c and my gpus' hitting no more than 63*c. I hate the heat and so does my computer :temper:

How has the summer been affecting your overclocks or temps?

My cooling setup...
dscn4954.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dscn4959t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Still no dice....

Put your rug in a smaller room with a door(Keep it closed) and black out the window, make sure your vent is open in that room. If you close off the vents in the other rooms, it will make the vent that is open blow harder to keep it cooler :)

Man, I have tried everything possible to lower my temps and was thinking about doing a full wc loop. My wife is really against me spending more money on the computer so I might just buy a stand alone air conditioner and have it blow cold air into the PC. I think it would be a win-win for me since it will not only cool my rig but the room to. I saw a unit at Lowes for $349 that moves 10,000 BTU i think. I might give this a shot and am curious if anyone else has tried this?

Not really at all for me.
I either run super slacker clocks (4.1ghz 3770k) or stock for daily operations.
Benching is done at the absolute bleeding edge, so summer's higher ambients put a dent in that when I'm on air, but not on dry ice / liquid nitrogen.

You may have issues with condensation with it blowing directly in the PC...

I guess my question/statement is what is the worry? 62C is more than acceptable temperatures for the CPU in your signature. Its good to 80C or so in fact.

Yep, I agree with ya, ED. Temps in the 60's are still quite cool for Intel.

As to the window AC, be prepared to pay for it on the electric bill. But it will keep your computer quite comfortable. Down here in soggy bottom Louisiana, extra AC in the computer room is almost a must have if you are running more than 1 computer, especially when doing DC work that keeps everything loaded. I have a 12,500 btu window unit in my computer room to help cool it off.

I know the thermal limits of the sandy bridge is around 85c max and the 500 series nvidia fermis' is around 95c max. I still don't like my cpu hitting more than 60c @ higher voltages of 1.375v under load. In a perfect world I would like 40c max for the cpu and 50c on the gpus. Maybe I will have to get a fulll custom loop to achieve this but I think a stand alone air conditioner is my best bet to make my wife happy to.

The lowest idle cpu temp I achieved durning winter was 5c and 17c under full load :)

Lol you could go getto-air cooler on that. Get a big bag of ice, put it behind a big fan (or is that infront of the fan, don't remember but you get the idea), point fan at pc, replace ice as needed. :D I did that once when my AC died, worked for the weekend until I could get a new AC.

Or a portable AC unit, those are pretty cool.

I know the thermal limits of the sandy bridge is around 85c max and the 500 series nvidia fermis' is around 95c max. I still don't like my cpu hitting more than 60c @ higher voltages of 1.375v under load. In a perfect world I would like 40c max for the cpu and 50c on the gpus. Maybe I will have to get a fulll custom loop to achieve this but I think a stand alone air conditioner is my best bet to make my wife happy to.

The lowest idle cpu temp I achieved durning winter was 5c and 17c under full load :)
A couple things...

1. Get over the temp thing. Its fine. Seriously.
2. You cant idle at 5C unless your ambient was lower than that.

:)

You need to move. Or buy a summer house in Southern world climates. Standard 'darn it's summer what to do'.

I live in Las Vegas, 115 at the hottest. Live with it.

Happy for your :) face. It's reality. It's summer. Spend lots more money, you'll be fine.

It would idle at 5*c with all the windows to my game room open and with the fan on. It was like 45*f out that day and my wife was not happy but it kept her out of the room. I played BF3 for like 5 hours that day in a hoddie and loved it. :) That was before we had our first child and moved to a new apartment that has to stay between 72-80*F with no exceptions. I miss the house we use to rent because I had a game room all to myself... My main problem know is we don't have central air only a wall mounted unit in the living room which only cools the main rooms not the bedrooms. My computer is in our bedroom and we always leave the door closed so my son doesn't go in there and the room temperatures skyrocket while folding during the day. So, that is the main reason why im looking into buying a stand alone unit for the bedroom *cough, cough, computer*that way the wife will be happy.

I think it will be fine.. Like Earthdog said tho, WOuldnt have it blowing straight into your computer, But one for the window/room would help out :)

:)

You need to move. Or buy a summer house in Southern world climates. Standard 'darn it's summer what to do'.

I live in Las Vegas, 115 at the hottest. Live with it.

Happy for your :) face. It's reality. It's summer. Spend lots more money, you'll be fine.

+1...

My house w/ the AC going all day long sits at 24c at its coolest. Im not worried about it even though my CPU is hitting upper 60's in the summer @ 1.48v. Never had an issue yet.

This week will be interesting. 113 @ the airport which means high 1-teens or pushing 120 in areas of the valley.

True, I wouldn't have it blowing into to pc even though the one im looking at has Dry cool option which is advertised to have no wator vapor/condensation. I will put it next to the desk and have it blow towards my computer most likely.

@EvilJoker- What does your QX6700 @ 3.32 run temperature wise with the h100?

The wife gives me an hour or so a night from 9-10:30ish to play on the computer after our son falls asleep. I'm on vacation this week so I have most of the day to fart around on the computer while shes at work and my son is taking his naps. I wouldn't trade it for the world but I sometimes miss the freedom and as long as the bills are paid I can keep my hobby.

Back