• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey gang,
Not to sound like a total noob but it has been 6 years since I built a system, I am looking at getting two of these boards to build two quads for crunching for the team and home use and I am trying to figure out if I am going to need to do something special power supply wise.

I would like to use my current psu for the one, which is a Stealth 500W I think it is made by thermaltake. I seen reference to an 8 pin power port. What is this to besides the normal 24 pin power plug?

Hey gang,
Not to sound like a total noob but it has been 6 years since I built a system, I am looking at getting two of these boards to build two quads for crunching for the team and home use and I am trying to figure out if I am going to need to do something special power supply wise.

I would like to use my current psu for the one, which is a Stealth 500W I think it is made by thermaltake. I seen reference to an 8 pin power port. What is this to besides the normal 24 pin power plug?

I have just purchased the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3R DDR3 version to run on my QX9650 with Corsair 1800Mhz RAM.

Have been using the Asus Maximus Extreme that has been a hunk of crap with mt QX so fingers crossed this Gigabyte thingy will be much better.

I will try to get some results once I get my NB water block.. (which are like Gold dust for these boards btw and had to order one all the way from Germany :()

Hey gang,

The CPU supplemental power is 4+4 on the UD3P and presumably the entire UD3 lineup. I've never tried it with just one of the two plugged in so I have no first hand experience with this. I'm thinking such a configuration is less desirable for overclocking, but again I don't have any first hand info to back that up. I do know the board I migrated from (P35 based Abit IP35 Pro) worked fine with only one of those two headers plugged in, but then it never overclocked like the UD3P either.

The system I am currently on is an Abit KR7133A with an AMD socket A LOL. I would like to be able to reuse my power supply if I can, I know I can get the molex to 6 pin pci express adapters. I'm just wondering if my power supply has the two four pins or if they sell adapters for that too. I feel like I have been in the stone age for while. That and I am getting old. Thanks for the help.

I know it sux to hear but i would DEFINITELY upgrade your psu, since. It looks as if u should have access to the classifieds.. you most likely can find a great deal there on one that will have all your needed plugs.

I agree. Bite the bullet and build your new rig on the solid foundation provided by a proper PSU.

Hi all,
I'm new to this thread (quite new to posting on ocforums), been looking at getting a reasonably budget upgrade cpu/mobo/ram/gfx.
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread but this all seems to be relevant to just this Mobo.
My first try at picking and buying the big 3 together so please excuse the noob-nerves!

I'm pretty much decided on the GA-EP45-UD3R [£25 less than the P; I'll never be doing crossfire and don't need dual lan] Has anyone used it or experienced any problems compared to the UD3P? The only slight worry was whether my Scythe Ninja [already got] fits among the mobo-heatsinks {same as the P}?

I'd be running it with an E5200 as I'm trying to keep the cost right down; only 2MB L2 but hopefully will OC reasonably well as I think it's the same or v similar wolfdale die as the E8600.
Is this board such a good overclocker that I might get the E5200 (with lower multiplier) upto ~400-500 FSB or is that just not possible with this one? [even if it's the same die as E8600?]
I'm also guessing that would give best peformance; to max out the ram at 1:1 with low cpu multi, then bring multi up to max out cpu?

Which brings me to ram, if it could possibly get near 500fsb I'd surely need 1066MHz. If not, would 800 be fine. [altho 1066 isn't that much more £ now anyway]
As for ram manufacturer, I'm in UK and newegg doesn't ship here, but can find Corsair XMS2, Kingston HyperX. Also can find a G.Skill 2x2GB 1066 set if that's better than the other 2??

I was also worried I was spending disproportionately much on the Mobo, but I'm guessing that's the way to go for overclocking!? Plus I might upgrade to a Quad when they're cheaper.

Sorry for the relentless questions!!!
Thanks for any & all feedback,
EJ

[As for PSU; I got a Seasonic 600W 2yrs ago for silence and this upgrade, which I'm sure should be fine? (no crossfire)
Current Lineup Specs:
£65 E5200 2MB L2 Stock 200x12.5 [800MHz Rated FSB]
£99 GA-EP45-UD3R
£?? Ram : Corsair XMS2 or Kingston HyperX ??
£42 9500GT 512MB PCIe16x
Already got Scythe Ninja&AS5 & Antec P180.]

I have zero experience with the e5200 so I will leave that to someone else. I swapped out an e2160 with this Q9450 and i couldn't get that chip past 3.0Ghz. The Seasonic should be fine. I can reach 1000MHZ with 4x2GB G.skill 800 sticks, but just barely. Like it's the limit and took some tweaking to get there so 1066 memory is a better plan since as you said it costs little more. I have been on G.skill or Buffalo memory for a few years and haven't tried any recent Corsair or Kingston so I will reserve comment on those as well.

I agree I should buy a new psu which I am buying at least one. My goal is I am trying to build two rigs for the house, both being quads for folding and trying to stay under a budget of $1,200 including getting a new monitor. I am going to use my 160gb ide HD and ide DVD burner in the wife's comp and I was hoping to be able to reuse the power supply. It is a Vantec 520W and it has the 8pin plug for the cpu power, I would think I should only need a pci express conversion plug for the video card. I won't need anything for the sata plugs since I will have the ide drives in hers.

My goal is I am trying to build two rigs for the house, both being quads for folding...

Hey... Rock on! :attn: We need your help. :)

If these will be semi-dedicated Folding builds you can always start up a thread over in the Folding Forum... we'll be happy to help you get the most Folding bang for your buck. :)

...sorry all, Team recruitment. :D Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

The only slight worry was whether my Scythe Ninja [already got] fits among the mobo-heatsinks {same as the P}?

[As for PSU; I got a Seasonic 600W 2yrs ago for silence and this upgrade, which I'm sure should be fine? (no crossfire)
Current Lineup Specs:
£65 E5200 2MB L2 Stock 200x12.5 [800MHz Rated FSB]
£99 GA-EP45-UD3R
£?? Ram : Corsair XMS2 or Kingston HyperX ??
£42 9500GT 512MB PCIe16x
Already got Scythe Ninja&AS5 & Antec P180.]

My Ninja 2 fits fine, although I can't put the fan on the right side like I can with my original Ninja on my other computer.

p1000611jv3.jpg

Possibly if you have RAM without heatsinks or ones that are normal size without any coolers above it you might be able to squeeze it in the right side like my original Ninja:
p1000635rnz4.jpg

Okay,
Now I've got CPU & MOBO chosen for sure. Ram I'm gonna go for 1066, Kingston HyperX or Corsair XMS2, whichever I can find easiest.
Thanks for the info everyone, great thread!

Does anyone use the retention bracket things like these as currently haven't got one? I've got the adapter for 775, but the push pin one, does this work alright or should I go for a more sturdy mounting?

Thanks,
EJ

Lol, ok, the monstah's getting a new leash!

Edit:
It's gonna have to be the Kingston HyperX 1066, as the Corsair XMS2 1066 becomes the Dominators w large heatsinks which might interfere with the Ninja.

Last edited:
Newegg has the UD3p for 139.00 with a 20.00 mail in rebate. I have one coming. I guess it depends how you feel with mail in rebates.

It's all academic for me in rip off England! dabs/ebuyer/lambdatek have the UD3R for £110-120 [~$170] but neither in stock at the moment so I'll have to wait. Then there's the added problem of not being at the cardholder's address [currently at university] so very few other retailers'll ship to me!
I did look at the vanilla UD3, but pretty sure the extra for the R would be worth it for the better cooling?
Anyone here got the vanilla UD3, is it just as stable as the R/P even tho it's not got the mosfet coolers, I'm not sure how useful they are really tho? A quick google says they the voltage regulators so control the whole shebang, worth keeping cool maybe...
EJ

It's all academic for me in rip off England! dabs/ebuyer/lambdatek have the UD3R for £110-120 [~$170] but neither in stock at the moment so I'll have to wait. Then there's the added problem of not being at the cardholder's address [currently at university] so very few other retailers'll ship to me!
EJ

if you can get a hold of a P.O. Box at your local post office there are services out there that will redirect the shipment of packages for you(At a small fee ofcourse).

An Example, This one is kinda expensive but there are others just gotta look for them.
http://www.usamail1.com/

I use the one for military frequently
http://www.apobox.com

Back