• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win 98se and no CRASHES!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Subzer0

ok ive recently reformatted my drives and i decided to insatll internet explorer 6,and sice then ive had no BSOD's what so ever and my system is running great(and thats a big statement for 98)
i cant believe it actually,no fatal exceptions,no explorer errors and this has been over a week now! unbelievable!!!
maybe its not the answer for all but it damn well worked for me!

I never really had much of a problem with 98se. Now WinME is another story!

yeah do that with ME and I will eat my own shoes! Nice job but if you are ready to move to the stability NT kernel shines and Linux is uncrashable.

The only major problem used to have with Win 98 was explorer errors. would stay there, could'nt close it out till I restarted. It would just come up out of nowhere too. I love Win 2K now. BIG difference. I've been running it for a while now and have never gotten any explorer errors.

Hmm..

Although I bet you couldn't go 5 days on Win9x without losing your taskbar or explorer crashes guaranteed.

I love Windows NT Kernal!

98se depends on what you've got installed, how you set it up, your hardware, and what you use it for...probably just like any other OS. It can be reasonably dependable, and when it does mess up, it's usually fairly easy to fix. Linux CAN be crashed, I just installed Mandrake 8.1 about 4 days ago, and I've already done it :eek:

Run a BX motherboard with other simple intel based hardware. Your system will be MUCH less likely to crash or get errors. My parent's old PII 350 with a BX board and 64 megs of ram runs forever without a glitch. The hardware is so much less complex then whats out now. That makes all the difference as well.

tsunami said:
Hmm..

Although I bet you couldn't go 5 days on Win9x without losing your taskbar or explorer crashes guaranteed.

I love Windows NT Kernal!

i been using win98se steady now for 2 years and have tried a few other of the usual os's xp,2kpro etc etc

and to be honest i aint had anything worse than a hung system and even that only happens occasionally when i have just installed something big or a diver.

I got decent hardware and have had nothing but sheer torture with drivers if i try to use say 2k pro as my only os,but if i install a 3year boot time dual boot setup all works fine , But im sticking with 98se till i can try linux to see how i like it and b4 i forget i quoted you as i aint lost nothing or had nothing stop responding for ages (i.e. a month)

Yep WinMe has not given me so much as one BSOD unles i overclock it beyond my stability level, i think once you get it set up rite and reboot once a day you should have no problem. I'm happy with my 9x kernal and since i'm into gaming i'm not giving this baby up. I have not seen a blue screen in ages [i forgot the last time] Oh and for those of you who do not ever want a BSOD go over to techtv to there download section and get there program that lets you change background and text colors its great if i ever get a BSOD know it will be a GSOD :)

The BX boards are ok with Win9x but, as for Windows ME I had the worst experience with that, system resources would run low after 4-5 hours comp uptime.

Obviously thing would run very slow and stuff so bah!

Windows 98 really rocks but if it ran with some memory management like Win2K jee that would be like the #1 os right now.

Its hella overclockable everything would kill on that system!

I love 98SE, super stable for me. I don't touch IE 6.0, though.

All of my comps are on it, and I will not upgrade anytime soon...

Back