• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Free Anti virus (poll edition!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Best Free Anti Virus

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Avast has been serving me and family well for a couple years at least now. My favorite part is still the screensaver scanner. Easiest way to get family and friends to run a scan. JUST LEAVE IT ON AND WALK AWAY!

I used to use AntiVir, but ended up having issues with it and ClimatePrediction, but before that it to was a good program.

I like Avast. I have used AVG and Avast b4 and would say Avast is the best. I currently use Norton tho...for a reason i don't know why lol.

I tried antivir but had an issue trying to get the idiots to give me a key. I believe it was an explorer problem on my end however emailing them was a joke. forget it. Found Spyware Terminator & decided the ClamAV integration option was a good choice as well. Considering Comodo for my firewall for the same reason. They are all free with simple guis & no install or run hassels. Since reinstalling I still get the antivir tug to try it again. But it's nice to have spyware AND av in one package.

Crash893 said:
Just a simple poll

let me know if i need to add anything.
NOD32 would could have been a good option.

I use it and have fould it to be the best on the market.

I personally use Bit-Defender Free Edition. I've had only one issue with it which was fixed with a uninstall and re-install. Some one, not a virus but a family member, messed with the files and damaged them. Aside from that, never had a problem.

I use Anti-Vir, and it has caught all of the viruses I have had quickly with no problems whatsoever. It was able to neutralize almost all of them, a problem I had previously had with AVG. It does have the occasional pop-up, but can be eliminated with a simple registry trick that cornbread posted a while back. I saved it, because I knew I would lose it on teh interweb.

Useful Tip Posted By Someone On Overclocker's Forums AKA cornbread said:
Antivir has nagging pop-ups, I just installed it on a lappy.
Start | Run | Type secpol.msc, and click OK | In the Local Security Settings dialog that opens, expand Software Restriction Policies in the LH pane | Highlight Additional Rules | Right click in the RH pane and select New Path Rule | In the New Path Rule dialog that opens, browse and navigate to avnotify.exe (normally under C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe) | Select "Disallowed" as the security level, and hit OK to close the dialog.

Thanks cornbread!

wow im shocked. I would assume that Avast woul;d have the most reviews. is AVG any good. does it use a monitor system thing like avast. should i go to AVG all i heard about is good things.

I voted Avast!. It's easy to use and works well.

AVG is no longer free, BTW. I've used it briefly. It was bulky, slow and very difficult to use. I uninstalled it and installed Avast!. Never went back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back