• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What am i doing wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darufe

My oc pretty much stinks :\
needs 1.5vcore to be stable at 415x8 (from what i can tell)
Then again i just did some large ffts and it isnt even that stable?
I dont get it its 24hours blend stable (or was last week anyway)
8+hours small fft stable
but large totally kills it.
Ive ran memtest overnight and it didnt generate any errors whatsoever at these settings :\

Ram is running 1:1
cpu ratio at 8 since i cant get past 3.3ghz under 1.55vcore and i dont want my ram at 720mhz
ive turned off all the recomended cpu options
set all voltages manually
locked pci and pcie freqs
set ram timings manually (only the standard ones tho)
disabled static read and mem remaping
at full load with my fan running only at 5v (i sleep next to the comp) i stay in the low 60 range at full load 1.5vcore

What could be the problem?

*bump*

and does anyone have a link to something that explains the "other" ram timings in the bios? or a list of stable settings?

Since memtest runs clean you may have either simply a cpu that is a poor Overclocker or your heatsinK is not completely seated on the cpu which is causing a hotspot that is reducing your overclock. I would check to be sure that the processor is true and flat. My E6600 was not and I had to sand it down. it made a 10c difference.

ya i reseated the ultra 120 once and had to put a LARGE amount of as5 to have it make decent contact.
the temp detection doesnt seem really high considering the voltage i have going to it tho.
but the first time i took it off there was only as5 on maybe 1/3 of the ihs and it isnt my first as5 aplication....grain of rice in the midle and pushed it down.
i'm afraid lapping the ihs might give me a mounting problem tho. the u120 is already pretty darn close to resting on the cpu bracket instead of the ihs :\

Wouldnt this lack of proper contact generate big differences in core temps?
im running tat and orthos atm and theres not even a 1deg offset (66 both cores with fan on 5v 1.525vcore)
hmm i think ill pop the side off and touch the sink to see if its even warm
the exhaust fan running right behind the u120 is pushing out cold air :\
wich could mean contact is crap and the heat isnt getting up to the fins.

ok took the side off
the u120 is barely even lukewarm. theres some heat going to it but it seems minimal considering the cpu reported temp in tat is 66 and the NB is boiling hot and just under the tower so thats dumping heat into it.

time to bring out the lil ugly nb fan and do some lapping i guess :(

re-re-re seated the hsf. finally seems to have paid off slightly.
installed the nb fan and droped about 15-20c on the NB.
Time to go back to basics and start from stock vcore and see how far it can go.

Hopefully the nb heat issue was the biggest culprit in my oc beeing crapy.
We'll see how this goes. maybe the e6600 is just a dud too but atleast i just droped a bunch of heat from the nb probably giving it a longer life expectancy

failing large ftts is a ram problem.. your likely not setting the correct timings or Vdimm.

Is there any reason you need that much Vcore???

well i cant pass small fft with less then 1.5vcore at 415x8
stock vcore gets me up to about 2.9ghz before it gets unstable
then it starts sucking up the volts big time to get even slight performance increases

sounds like a bum clocking chip or a 12V rail that fluctuates very bad.

unfortunatly i dont have access to an oscilloscope atm so i cant check fluctuation.
what i did do is check 12v at full load and it never moved at all.
Doesnt mean theres no fluctuation but atleast the voltage is there.
the power regulation in this house is lame tho (maybe thats why i havent gotten a decent OC on any chip here? hmmm)
We get power outages as soon as the weather gets a little rough and lights go down and up every once in a while.
lame considering this house is pretty much new.

ya i based my purchase pretty much on that review...but one thing i didnt notice in that test was the fact his was shutting down at 14a/rail
thats still pretty good but what if the load isnt so nicely balanced?
(like 17/10/10/0) would it still be performing well?

on a sidenote the nb cooling got me some better ram overclockability :)
could do better but would need active cooling.

im really thinking of ditching this e6600 and getting something else
maybe the e4300 when it comes out...cheap and 800fsbx9
my ram can hit 930mhz at 5-5-5-15 2.1v atm so "if" the cpu can take it i could probably net a decent oc.
Or maybe a 6400...even the crappy ones seem to be hitting more then my 6600 :(

he did crossload tests..

you could sell your E6600 and just replace it.. your ram is good for a E6400 if you would like to go that route, but chances are you were just unlucky and another E6600 would clock just fine.

ya maybe next paycheck :\
any batchcodes i should be looking out for?

nothing really.. I cant even recall if it was A or B that was more likely to have lower VID.. and you wouldn't get that info unless its used (then you can possibly get the actuall VID) or possibly buying off tankguys.biz and asking before you purchase.

ya well tankguys is in the US im in canada.
they only ship with fedex. Fedex charges +40++ dollars for administration/customs fees wich usps DOESNT charge.
ive had to wait 1 month for fedex to clear customs once.
NEVER again will i use fedex.
WORST service ever. Second worse beeing ups.
think i might exploit the 15 day no questions asked refund policy we have here instead :p Its evil and unfair but this is my second bum chip in a row and they charge MUCH more localy so screw em.

sorry if i offended anyone there :p

darufe said:
ya well tankguys is in the US im in canada.
they only ship with fedex. Fedex charges +40++ dollars for administration/customs fees wich usps DOESNT charge.
ive had to wait 1 month for fedex to clear customs once.
NEVER again will i use fedex.
WORST service ever. Second worse beeing ups.
think i might exploit the 15 day no questions asked refund policy we have here instead :p Its evil and unfair but this is my second bum chip in a row and they charge MUCH more localy so screw em.

sorry if i offended anyone there :p

UPS and fedex both charge the big customs brokerage fee for us canucks

USPS is the only shipment method i use for usa -> canada.

you can find ebay 6600's around $300 us, oem maybe a bit under that, if you are patient. My best one was 295 for a new retail.
Toronto retailers have them for 369 cdn.
You pay pst+gst on local if you are in ontario
Depending on the seller/customs declararation/efficiency of canada post, you probably pay pst+gst on US purchases too.

I too have one bum 6600 ... it only runs at 325 with >1.4 Vc.
I have another that folds stable 724 at 385 with 1.375V on air ... but this one is on a p5w64 which overvolts ... bios is set at 1.375 i think. This mobo is expensive but oc's well and has awesome power stability.
2 that run 400 at 1.45 folding on water, 370 at 1.4/1.425 on air - these seem about average.
all 4 of them running on different mobo's ... p5b, p5b-d, DS3, p5w64.

Last edited:
ya thats why i said usps is the way to go hehehe
im in quebec when i order ontario i only pay 6% tax wich is great but i dont know any good ontario websites.

darufe said:
ya thats why i said usps is the way to go hehehe
im in quebec when i order ontario i only pay 6% tax wich is great but i dont know any good ontario websites.
you can also order from B.C. and only pay 6%. out there, i usually use www.ncix.com

Back