• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad question(budget build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bill941

Registered
I looking to get a cheap rad but I when I stop up at a parts store they want 35-50 bucks plus the core which of course i don't have. For that price I could just pick one up at dtek any other suggestions for other possible rad's? I was thinking about going to a junk yard but that seems like a bad idea maybe I wrong though what do you think?

the salvage yard is a good place to pick up a heatercore cheap but youll likely have to clean the heck out of it b4 you can use it.check out the swiftech rads.they are really cheap and they do a good job.

thanks guys I will check those ideas out.I will stop in autozone as I can't seem to find that on thier web page.

what size core do you need? single 120, dual 120 or (why in the name of all that is holy...) a quad-120 core? I have played with a couple cores here and there...gimme a size and I'll find one that is at least reasonably close to what you need. :)

I wouldn't recommend going to a junk yard as there is just too much gunk to deal with. A '77 bonneyville heatercore is about $20 at autozone, but you have to build your own shroud. A Swiftech MCR220 is a good rad, but will set you back about $50 shipped (crazypc.com).

If I were you, I would find a rad in the classifieds here. I have gotten some great deals in the classifieds. For example, I saved $25 on my Dtek fuzion block, and it was only a few weeks old and in brand new condition.

The venerable BIP series is another option. These radiators are a bit dated, but they work better than heater cores with quiet fans, and sometimes you can find them quite cheap.

I was able to find a black ice pro w/sunon fan for 26 shipped couldn't bet that but I did find some transpro numbers that if anyone is looking for a cheap core that fits a 120 mm fan 399019,399298 they run $18 and $24 respectfully at autozone.

Back