• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vinyl Cement or Silicon to ensure no leaks (plastic barb/pump)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3x

Registered
Im not sure wether or not i should use silicon or vinyl cement on my ViaAqua1300 pump. Ive heard that you can ensure no leaks by applying small amounts to the treads, and behind the raceways of the o-rings. Some peopel say use epoxy but ive read that it will begin to deteriorate after 6-7 months. I want this to last for a good while. What do you guys suggest?

Yeah but it seems like a glue type substance would work better than teflon tape, what do you think? The barbs do i have o-rings btw.

I use Silicone Caulk for everything. Sub boxes, leaks, remotes, just as a general adhesive, lube(lol jk)

Go for it I say :beer:

a fresh tube of plumber's goop. If it has been open for a while, it will not work nearly as well. Pop the top on a new tube and go for it.

Silicone will peel of by hand. It will also last a long time if it in undisturbed. If it will stand up in fish aquariums, it is fine in this application. I use it on my home made res to seal the barbs in place. As long as it not broken loose, it will not leak.

plumber's goop and marine goop are almost identical - they are made by the same company. I have used both with solid results on pumps moving from 200-1500gph. Once it dries, it is damn tough but it can be removed if needed. Just about any hardware store should carry plumber's and/or marine goop.

For the barbs have o-rings, apply nothing as the o-rings will do all of the sealing. Putting on sealant can keep the o-rings from sealing.

For other barbs that are tapered, RTV silicone works best for plastic to plastic connections and will seal indefinitely.

Back