• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a home server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CW, i think that was uncalled for.

i didnt say that it did everything that WHS can do. i was frustrated at the comment 'dont have time to learn a new os', when in fact you dont have to learn a damn thing to use FreeNAS. Openfiler you will have to teach yourself a thing or 2, but FreeNAS just works. And as for you comment on working with a product, i have a FreeNAS box sitting here with 1tb in it. i AM using it, just upgraded from an old version 2 nights ago. i also have an openfiler box sitting here with 3.2tb in it. please dont try to get condescending with me on this, i wasnt arguing what WHS could or couldnt do, i was trying to help people understand that FreeNAS is not some strange new OS that you have to learn, everything is done through the webGUI and requires no linux knowledge at all, its just like one of those overpriced NAS boxes you can buy in a store.

i dont appreciate you telling me that i am smoking too much dope either, i havent smoked pot in over a year...so stop judging.

i dont claim to know it all, but i like to help people understand that the almighty microshaft is not the only game in town, and there are specialized products designed to do what people want them to do, but it takes a willingness to LISTEN and LEARN.

if you have problems with me, please lets take it up in a PM. this discussion is about home server/file server options and i shouldnt be attacked like you have attacked me, accusing me of never using a product that i like to use and endorse.

You are in here baselessly arguing against WHS. You stated, from what I read, that FreeNAS was a better choice for what the OP wanted to do, EVEN THOUGH you refused to take into consideration what the OP was really saying.

How can you argue against a product that you have never used?

How can you suggest FreeNAS is better than a product that you have never used?

How can you not see my point?

You stated, AFTER THE OP STATED THAT HE WAS GOING WITH WHS, that FreeNAS was easy to setup and yadda yadda yadda. Why? What was the point? The OP already had made his choice!?!

If my forum nickname was puppy stomper, wouldn't you assume I stomped on puppies?:( Seriously, I'd love to help you change it.

You are in here baselessly arguing against WHS. You stated, from what I read, that FreeNAS was a better choice for what the OP wanted to do, EVEN THOUGH you refused to take into consideration what the OP was really saying.

How can you argue against a product that you have never used?

How can you suggest FreeNAS is better than a product that you have never used?

How can you not see my point?

You stated, AFTER THE OP STATED THAT HE WAS GOING WITH WHS, that FreeNAS was easy to setup and yadda yadda yadda. Why? What was the point? The OP already had made his choice!?!

If my forum nickname was puppy stomper, wouldn't you assume I stomped on puppies?:( Seriously, I'd love to help you change it.

1.dude i have used it, i was involved in the beta testing from first rc all the way up through gold, thanks

2.you are reading what i said OUT OF CONTEXT, when he said OpenFiler looked a little too much for him, i said that FreeNAS was better than OpenFiler in that aspect, i never said that FreeNAS was better than WHS.

3.i never said i have not used WHS, so again, see point 1 in this post

4.i see your point. you apparently have something against me (is it my name?)

5.WHY??? when other people read this thread, i would like it to be known that there is NO learning curve with a product like FreeNAS (where he stated that he thought FreeNAS seemed like too much of a learning curve), instead of seeing the lovely one-sided story you seem to want to portray...i didnt know this was the MICROSOFT only section of the forum, sorry.

6.sure, change my name for me. i want pirateghost, thanks

Thats ridiculous... Nobody would assume that, they would think it was just a silly name, possibly borrowed from something else. I know you weren't being literal but you also weren't sarcastic because that would change what you were trying to say.

Now I'm not a fan of self proclaimed pot heads but smokie is a helpful member of this forum so I wouldn't be criticizing his forum name and implying that it means something about him. That name was used in a movie and is also just a funny name, he isn't directly showing off anything.

Anyway I have to agree with CW on WHS/Windows 2003. There probably isn't a linux distro that has EVERY feature but I bet every feature can be found in A distro of linux, not always all in one. I use 2003 on my home server and wouldn't switch it to linux without a good reason to.

Now I'm not a fan of self proclaimed pot heads but smokie is a helpful member of this forum so I wouldn't be criticizing his forum name and implying that it means something about him. That name was used in a movie and is also just a funny name, he isn't directly showing off anything.

Anyway I have to agree with CW on WHS/Windows 2003. There probably isn't a linux distro that has EVERY feature but I bet every feature can be found in A distro of linux, not always all in one. I use 2003 on my home server and wouldn't switch it to linux without a good reason to.

Forgive me for not backing down about WHS, but I was clearly right. Suddenly S_M has a vast knowledge of WHS, curiously, though I do NOT see any testing with PP1 (the only way WHS actually works well, is with PP1).

As far as the forum nick, I made a joke about it and he flipped out. Kinda funny, considering how long he's had that name, and what it implies. And I wonder, how it's G-rated....hmmm.

I'm not, and will not, attack him as a poster. In this particular thread, I don't think he accurately stated his opinion, and I jumped on what he DID seem to say, here.

Funny how far we've come, now.

how can an opinion be accurate?
An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something which it is either impossible to verify the truth of, or the truth of which is thought unimportant to the person. It is an assertion about something especially if that something lies in the future and its truth or falsity cannot be directly established e.g. induction. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are either not falsifiable, or the opinion has not been proven or verified. If it later becomes proven or verified, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

perhaps it be best to understand what i am saying before telling me i am wrong?

how can an opinion be accurate?

perhaps it be best to understand what i am saying before telling me i am wrong?

More than happy to waste time disecting each of your posts in this thread, but I think you'll be disappointed. Tomorrow, though, as I'm going to bed.

This thread doesn't seem to be the place for that... I'm just as guilty though now I guess.

I got the joke as you ment it like ' Huh? What have you been smoking? ' but I can see SM taking it the wrong way as more of an attack on him. As far as it being G rated I suppose its not but neither are many many other things here.

@smokie, I think he means an accurate expression/saying of your opinion, your opinion is true to you.

I got the joke as you ment it like ' Huh? What have you been smoking? ' but I can see SM taking it the wrong way as more of an attack on him.

@smokie, I think he means an accurate expression/saying of your opinion, your opinion is true to you.

i completely took it as an attack on me, since apparently i am not allowed to voice my opinion

I think you're giving an answer that you feel fits your point.

There is no way in hell there is a linux distro that includes everything that WHS does, without even considering the learning curve involved.

And yes, I understand your answer is a linux distro with alot of mods, but then we're not working with an experienced linux user here, either.

Gentoo! (The downside is obvious - you basically have to become a Portage geek to do it all. But I'm paid by $WORK to be a Portage geek, so it's good synergy - if I can call it that.)

You're doing too much of your forum username.

I've went through all of the iterations of a home server and want to know what I ultimatelly ended up with? An Apple Time Capsule. Don't let the name apple fool you, it's nothing more than a router with a hard drive plugged in. I picked up the 500 gb version and immediately dropped in a 1tb drive. Expansion options you ask? well it has a built in usb port so I can connect a hub and daisy chain more hdds as I need them.
They are quite nifty, although I would say that you can do better building your own - moneywise, but maybe not timewise.

I didn't know I was going to stir up quite a mess. Smokey I understand what you are saying in the way freenas works. It is just a webgui like store bought NAS's or most wireless routers. Simple enough, I also thought it may be a limiting factor when it come to media streaming, accessing over net, etc. It very well may not but I thought WHS looks a little more flexible. The main factor the ended my decision was the budget. Newegg had 1.5TB drives for $120 and I couldn't afford three of them at the moment for RAID 5. So I'll use one for now with a 500GB drive to back up the most important stuff and after Christmas I'll pick up a couple more. Freenas just doesn't allow that flexibility. That $400 Wii bundle for my step-son put a serious dent in the Christmas spending. But the kids being happy is more important that my tech toys.

Back