• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking into aftermarket cooling for my HD4850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Priv

I have 2 Club3D HD4850's in crossfire and they produce alot of heat if I bios mod the voltages of the cards. On stock cooling these guys hit 70C-80C load (depending on application) on 670/1120 stock voltage. I can get them to run stable at 700/1160 if I bios mod them but the temps can then run up to 90C (!).
Now I have 0 experience whatsoever with GPU cooling so I have no idea what is good and what fits. Keep in mind that I have a PCI Card above my master HD4850 and that there's 2x PCI slots inbetween the 2 PCI-E slots. Both coolers need to fit.

I currently am looking at the Thermalright HR-03 and the Zalman V1000 but I do not know if the HR-03 will fit, I guess the zalman v1000 does fit though as it isnt as high as the HR-03.

So, what cooler should I get and could somebody give me tips on how to cool everything with aftermarket cooling on my GPU? I have heard you need to make your own ramsinks or buy those too.

And is it actually worth it? Because sooner or later I might decide to voltmod my HD4850's for even higher frequencies.

The TR HR-03 does fit, but if you're running 2 4850's in Xfire, you won't be able to add the fans to them. You'll need to run them passive.

Not sure about the Akasa VORTEXX as this is actually the first time I've heard them mentioned.

The scythe Musashi looks to be a good cooler. The ZALMAN VF1000 is an awsome cooler, but you'll need to purchase ram & voltage regulator sinks seperately.

Be advised that if you choose to go with aftermarket coolers on the 4850, you need to add sinks to the ram chips and voltage regulator chips.

That's what I thought about the HR-03, that it barely would fit and passive is not a good solution when overclocking.
I also guessed I would need ram & voltage sinks. How is the noise on the Akasa Vortexx and how is the performance?

I think most people that run the alaska report good gains over the stock @ 100%. I think Ive seen anywhere between 5C to 10C temp drops reported for the cooler. Obviously the better the airflow in your case the lower the drop will be.

After reading alot of positive reviews about the vortexx I am going for that as it supports crossfire and blows the air out the back of the case. But does it need any VRM heatsinks or anything like that?

After reading alot of positive reviews about the vortexx I am going for that as it supports crossfire and blows the air out the back of the case. But does it need any VRM heatsinks or anything like that?

I would think that if you are doing any kind of volt mods that vrm sinks would be a good idea, but it looks like the Vortexx is a full-coverage card (ie. no room for vrm sinks).

Back