• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build I7...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

I am looking at cpu, mobo ram and psu... Not sure which way to go... 1156 or 1366? Any suggestions on mobo, ram and psu? I am building this pc in a week once I get it all together... any help/suggestions would much be appreciated :)

Last edited:
If your considering cracking 5ghz.... good water cooling, 920DO and a evga classified would be the ticket.

PSU would depend on the GFX setup largely

I5 is rather new.. I havn't heard of a killer BCLK motherbord yet but I could be informed

Last edited:
I have read that price/performance wise, I should lean towards i5/i5 1156...

I ask for psu coz my psu is like 2 years old? but works really good for me.

Your PSU is a good one.. If it can handle your GFX setup I wouldn't change it.

The multi is the same on the 750 as the 920 but is there a I5 motherboard that can handle 250+ BCLK like the evga classified for I7??? It would just harm the max clocks really.. price performance would depend on how many GHZ's you want.. most people arn't planning on getting 5Ghz out of either CPU so they wouldn't consider that.

Your PSU is a good one.. If it can handle your GFX setup I wouldn't change it.

The multi is the same on the 750 as the 920 but is there a I5 motherboard that can handle 250+ BCLK like the evga classified for I7??? It would just harm the max clocks really.. price performance would depend on how many GHZ's you want.. most people arn't planning on getting 5Ghz out of either CPU so they wouldn't consider that.

I'm just planning on a decent OC like what I have right now, didn't really push the cpu. I oc but not that heavy as I use my system for a lot of things, mainly video converting, photoshop and wow running 24/7.

just finished doing what you are about to do...my answer is in my sig :p

I love the i7 860 coz of the 4 extra threads compared to i5 750.. but your board, I kinda need more pci slots for card extentions.

The P55-UD6 can take 250blck. Look at Anand's latest OCing article.

THe 920 is the better OCer but the 860 and 920 are very similar in performance. If you want to save money the 750 will do you justice.

If your considering cracking 5ghz.... good water cooling, 920DO and a evga classified would be the ticket.

Sorry...I got a good laugh out of this. How many 920's do you really think can do 5 GHz...especially just on watercooling? 1 out of 1000? I'd bet it's closer to 1 in 10,000.

nice nice ty... just not sure which way to go, I'm more of a price/performance guy... and with my current rig (check sig) dunno if i5 is a big upgrade or i7 is... as for the things I run, I do photoshop, video encoding, telnet, trillian and WoW :p

I had both p55/1156/ 860 and x58/1366/920. The x58 is in my opinion, about the same price, more stable and faster and with i9 just around the corner upgradeable where as the 1156 that as fast as it's going to get for now.

I had both p55/1156/ 860 and x58/1366/920. The x58 is in my opinion, about the same price, more stable and faster and with i9 just around the corner upgradeable where as the 1156 that as fast as it's going to get for now.

I can not attest to more stable or faster since I have not had a socket 1156 setup yet. But my 920 with triple channel (which may be the reason) has the desktop snappiness that AMD has had for a while. Which I found lacking on socket 775 :) This is very important to me, which is why I bother to mention this purely subjective point.

Nobody runs 5GHz 24/7...4GHz is pretty commom though ;)

common or common?
most are running 4 on D0's because they got the wrong motherboard and or cooling
just a example http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=618279 good water will get more then 4Ghz on a DO 24/7 with the right motherboard

5Ghz would be just benching stable anyway

The P55-UD6 can take 250blck. Look at Anand's latest OCing article.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3671&p=7

It looks like all 3 did better then 250 but the 750 topped out just shy of 5ghz benching with there cooling

Last edited:
Back