• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Online Storage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

I've been looking at Mozy and Carbonite for online backup, it seems worth the price to have a constant backup in place. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with either site.

I've been looking at Mozy and Carbonite for online backup, it seems worth the price to have a constant backup in place. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with either site.

A few questions;

How much data, and what is the upload speed? How long will it take to do?

I use Carbonite, and am happy with it. It saved my iTunes library file last week when it got corrupted. I should point out that there are some limits, both in up/download speeds it gives you (took me a week to get the initial backup done) and it won't automatically backup files over 4GB.

I use Dropbox. Any files that you drop into a specific folder are automatically synced to all other computers linked to your account. uploads and downloads are also very fast. Downloading my entire account (about 2GB) took only a few hours, and uploads are similarly fast. Really good if you need files on multiple computers to always be updated with the latest versions. Also even the free versioni of dropbox will keep all revisions of all files for 30 days, so if you accidentally delete everything in a file and save it, you can re-download a previous version. I have over 200 versions of my source code that I can roll back to lol.
Pricing for dropbox is 2GB for free (with easy opportunities for up to 3GB more). 50GB for $5/month, and 100GB for $10/month.

Absolutely stay away from Mozy. I tried their free trial and after 3 weeks it still hadn't uploaded everything that I told it too. If you do lose everything it would take forever to get it all back. If you plan on backing up all of your data, definitely go for carbonite though.

Anyway if you do go for dropbox, PM me for my referral code so I can get 256MB more storage :p

I use Dropbox. Any files that you drop into a specific folder are automatically synced to all other computers linked to your account. uploads and downloads are also very fast. Downloading my entire account (about 2GB) took only a few hours, and uploads are similarly fast. Really good if you need files on multiple computers to always be updated with the latest versions. Also even the free versioni of dropbox will keep all revisions of all files for 30 days, so if you accidentally delete everything in a file and save it, you can re-download a previous version. I have over 200 versions of my source code that I can roll back to lol.
Pricing for dropbox is 2GB for free (with easy opportunities for up to 3GB more). 50GB for $5/month, and 100GB for $10/month.

Absolutely stay away from Mozy. I tried their free trial and after 3 weeks it still hadn't uploaded everything that I told it too. If you do lose everything it would take forever to get it all back. If you plan on backing up all of your data, definitely go for carbonite though.

Anyway if you do go for dropbox, PM me for my referral code so I can get 256MB more storage :p

Hmm thanks for the advice I do have alot of large files (games movies and music). I think once I get past the initial backup it would be just maintenance from then on. I am also thinking it may be best to just pay $5 for the one month and see how it works instead of paying for a whole year.

Back