• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lowest power usage build? (Smoothwall box)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I really want to put together a low powered Smoothwall box and get away from the P4 system I currently have my SW3 running on. Currently, I'm looking at this board here:

Intel BOXD945GCLF Intel Atom processor 230 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Retail

It has a built in 10/100 NIC which I can use for the WAN, and it has 1 PCI slot, which I can use for a 10/100 NIC for the LAN side. It's also a Mini ITX board which would allow me to make a very small custom case for it and not have to use a regular full size case as I currently have to for the boards I do have on hand. But is this really my best option for a low power consumption PC, or is there better? Keep in mind, this will be strictly used to run Smoothwall, and I must have at least 2 NICs available (either built in or through a expansion card [no dual port NIC cards!]).

It is probably you best option. Next in line would be a 35W Celeron-L. It would be better if Intel would use more modern chipsets instead of the old 90nm heap in it now.

"Our test motherboard consumes 59 W in standby, and we reached 62 W under maximum load (with a 3.5" hard disk and a 1 GB DDR2 DIMM). Obviously, these values are what we measured for the complete platform, not only the motherboard, and they don’t take power-supply losses into account (our test model has a yield of approximately 80%). That’s both a little and a lot – it’s not much for a desktop computer, of course, but it’s a lot in absolute terms. We should add that we recently tested a motherboard based on a 1.5 GHz Via C7, and the configuration drew less power with the same components: 49 W at idle and 59 W under load (always measured at the AC outlet)."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-cpu,1947-7.html

Back