• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Rig Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazumastars

Hey all.

So I'm looking to build a gaming rig because this laptop is a POS and it has like a Geforce Go 6100 or something. Really really bad. Anyways, my dad has a monitor and keyboard and mouse and stuff and basically all I need is a mobo, cpu, ram, graphics card, and power supply.

This is what I have so far. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15024268

I'm trying to keep the build around $450 or less but I'm a little over. I want to be able to run most games on the highest settings as my dad got a new monitor with the native resolution being 1920x1600.

Any suggestions or other builds I can go for? I wouldn't mind looking at Intel stuff but I'm more of an AMD guy, same goes for ATI/Nvidia.

Thanks.

what OS are you planning on running?

Also what case you gonna use? cardboard box should work :)

Last edited:
also I know you are at the top of your budget... but you can get a 4890 that isn't much more than that 4870... but 4870 is still a great card

Also I'm not good with the whole picking out PSUs so I'm going to leave that to someone else (though I noticed you took it off the wishlist)

Last edited:
Yeah I was talking to my dad, and he said to forget about the power supply because he'll be able to get one somewhere somehow. o_O But yeah he also said to get a powerful graphics card and he'll pay for it. So I might bump up to the 4890.

Yeah I was talking to my dad, and he said to forget about the power supply because he'll be able to get one somewhere somehow. o_O But yeah he also said to get a powerful graphics card and he'll pay for it. So I might bump up to the 4890.

Just make sure he understands how important a good PSU is.

Well... in that case you could look at 5700 and 5800 series cards ;) which i'm sure you could talk him into :)

The 5870 looks pretty nice. :drool:

Also referring to the power supply, he said he should be able to get about a 500w Rosewill psu for cheap, is that a good brand psu? Or should I convince him to stick to a better well known one?

yes it does but I'd try to talk him into the 5850 or 5770... as still DX11 and great performance... but not as much as everything else combined ;)

Back