• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling with a fridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samoz3

Hi guys, I just got this weird idea when I was thinking about my next case.

I thought of those mini-fridge things they have at hotels. Fashion aside, would putting a computer in a mini-fridge while both are on break things? And i would only have the fridge on when the computer was turned on.

I just think that would be so awesome. You could store your food AND drinks AND your computer alll at the same place. Anyone got an answer?

Not a very good idea. The heat created by your PC would overwhelm that flimsy frige. You also have to be careful about the condensation that will be taking place... It's been done, it's just not very succesful.

hmm, well what about a normal refrigirator? or just some big-*** coolers in teh mini-fridge? my question is whether or not the parts would get damaged by the cold temperatures.

The parts will not be damaged by the cold themselves, but the condensation and the overwhelming heat would more than likely kill both the fridge and your PC.
Fridge cooling has been done before, but it is certainly not a permanent low maintenance solution, the risks far outway the benefits!

So to answer your question, it is possible, and the cold will not kill the components. But please if you try this....be careful! :)

Take Care,
M_N

its not the cold temps its the condensation that would kill them. Because your fridge cant get as cool as phase change cooling which doesnt kill cpu's I dont think. However you should really listen to SilverJag, his points are excellent and all true. Your gonna need a really powerful fridge.

phase cooling? sorry, im really new at cooling, right now im running my comp with 11 fans and the side off

the only rig that I have seen effectively use a mini fridge had the resevoir for his water cooling setup inside.

Put VERY basicly, a fridge uses a system to make a radiator cold. A fan blows hot air thru the radiator, making it cold and cooling the fridge down. You might as well put the cooling unit right on your cpu though, as it would give much lower temps.

samoz3 said:
phase cooling? sorry, im really new at cooling, right now im running my comp with 11 fans and the side off

I bet if you put another fan in there you could fly to Florida. What in the world do you have so many fans for and how big is your case? Can you say overkill :-/ Especially with the side off. I thought mine was bad with 4 fans.

Back