• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Joining our SETI Team? Report here for duty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have decided to come back and do a 'little' ;) bit for Overclockers.com team seti... It has been a while and I have some catching up to do! Firstly I have bad timing I see the download servers are not back online yet so I can't get any WU's... I am testing the current Boinc version with a handful of my CPU's on SpinHenge, running into a few issues with some computers not doing any work when logged off, this seems to be happening on only a dozen or so though so I hope to fix that. Once seti starts sending out some work I will start putting some effort in and this time I want a top 3 spot!! :) PS if you guys still do any races let me know...

Joined up Saturday. Glad to be helping out!!
Lot's to learn but I think it's working!!

Bill

Thanks for joining up guys. It's great having new people aboard. :clap:

It's great to be back and the farm is slowly waking up! :comp:

Only downside is that I am seeing 'Project down for maintenance' more frequently than I used to! I hope Seti are not having any major issues...

I have my faster CPU's set to download 10 Days worth of work to cover for the project being offline but it seems the apparent 10 days of work has been completed in much less time and I am waiting for the download servers to come back online. My less able CPU's are ok they still have some work to do!

I think they have limits on how much work you can download at once at the moment. They have recently had some major issues with some of the servers and are trying to minimize the load until they get a replacement or get the current one fixed.

A couple of weeks ago they started switching out a server, hence all the issues they've been having recently. It's not just the hardware swap - it's transferring and syncing all the science data in the database. It takes time anyway and trying to keep work turning over just complicates things more. It's like widening a road and not closing it. You have to put up with construction delays for awhile but when it's done things are sooo much better.

I have decided to come back and do a 'little' ;) bit for Overclockers.com team seti...
Joined up Saturday. Glad to be helping out!!
Lot's to learn but I think it's working!!
:welcome: to OC*SETI!

new user with boinc problem

hey there guys. ive been running seti on my desktop for a while (along with rosetta). im trying to run seti on my laptop which runs fedora 13. i got the boinc client installed, but it wont let me attach to a project. anyone know how to fix this.

I'm a real Linux n00b but I did run it for awhile. Seems like the problem I had was a security issue - something about BOINC needing it's own group or something - and then your main user has to made part of that group???

I can't remember all the Linux semantics but that was the gist of it. SETI created the group, IIRC, but I had to add my username to it and adjust a setting for things to work right ...

Joined overclockers SETI team today, been trying but BOINC's servers were being upgraded and it appears SETI is down again for project downloads.

Been running Seti for at least 12 or 13 years. *Been doing BOINC Seti (carried my stats over) and Rosetta since Jan 2006. *I also joined the Rosetta OC team and the Folding@Home OC team earlier this week.*

Just posted pics of the first mod to my current 5 year old case and my stable, cool overclock in the AMD 1090T thread.*:salute:

New member, but I have lurked around for years.*:cool:

Yeah SETI has been up and down a lot due to their upgrade. When they are up, you won't get a lot of files to work with.

I wish we could get an ETA of when they are fully up.

Thanks! *Glad to be on the team(s).

I have mine to pretty much do that too when SETI runs out of work. *I have both systems set to download 6 to 7 days worth if they can, I think, can't remember now. *I'll have to check that.

Reportin for Duty, I've been going at it for a few days. I stopped using a heater in the garage and have my system running Seti/Rosetta full time. I'm hoping to set the wife's up with it tonight, right now my "average work done" Is in the 500's.

What is considered a high average?

Ive also resumed crunching. I usually only go at it in the winter as my house doesnt have AC (can get a bit steamy in the room with an i7 rig goin 24/7).

@1500 RAC and climbing. Im gonna bite on a 460 or wait on a 560 to crunch with. Ive had just about enough of poor linux support from ATI :(

::EDIT, just hopped through the 100,000 hoop.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OC*SETI!

Reportin for Duty, I've been going at it for a few days. I stopped using a heater in the garage and have my system running Seti/Rosetta full time. I'm hoping to set the wife's up with it tonight, right now my "average work done" Is in the 500's.

What is considered a high average?
Did you visit our installation instructions thread and are you running the Lunatics optimizers?

On the subject of RAC (recent average credit) My 940BE runs about 4000 so I would expect your 1090T to hit 6k easy, since you're OC'ed higher than I am. It takes time, though, usually 2-3 weeks after you start crunching, for the work unit pipeline to fill up and move your RAC up to normal numbers. :)

Ive also resumed crunching. I usually only go at it in the winter as my house doesnt have AC (can get a bit steamy in the room with an i7 rig goin 24/7).

@1500 RAC and climbing. Im gonna bite on a 460 or wait on a 560 to crunch with. Ive had just about enough of poor linux support from ATI :(

::EDIT, just hopped through the 100,000 hoop.
Welcome back!

Hopefully I will have my updated rig on-line by January and can resume the Milestones. Congrats on your 100k ...! :beer:

Done gone joined up, will be running a gtx260 216sp for a day or four, come the end of januaryish i'll be joining full time with my 980x :D

EDIT:
Having issues. I shall return!

Last edited:
This was more that BOINC would completely fail to load with the gtx260 installed, regardless of drivers. Never even got to the server stage, sadly.
Since the other half of my plan that involved the gtx260 and boinc failed as well, it's been declared a General Failure, and I'll come back and give it another whirl in just over a month when I hit 1m in rosetta.

I think most of the servers are down. Ive got a ton of uploads pending and that typically only happens when somethings borked.

Ive also got some stuff running on high priority. havent seen that in a long time.

SETI site says that they are restriping some raid arrays and tweaking some other things to get ready for a gigabit link. Hopefully this will ease the huge connectivity problems they have every time the system comes back online after an outage. Everything should be back to full bore Thursday.

This was more that BOINC would completely fail to load with the gtx260 installed, regardless of drivers. Never even got to the server stage, sadly.
Since the other half of my plan that involved the gtx260 and boinc failed as well, it's been declared a General Failure, and I'll come back and give it another whirl in just over a month when I hit 1m in rosetta.

That sucks to hear. Still glad to have you trying to help the team.

And a big :welcome: to all of the new people above.

Back