• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GS70 2OD-002US Fan Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well you probably are right that I don't have the skills he does, though I am experienced with desktops, but since this is a notebook I never did the same things on notebooks as I did on desktops. All I've done is replace hard drives and ram, no experience with notebook GPU and CPU.

Anyway beside the point. I did make a ticket and will give them a call tomorrow as well when they are open, but I really hope I don't have to pay for shipping just to get this fixed because I will not care and just void the stupid *** warranty if I have to just to save few bucks. I never had any problems with laptops in my life when I needed a warranty, in fact I found extending or buying warranty for a laptop or notebook just as pointless as getting an insurance for a smartphone.

But we'll see what they have to say.
Thank you for the quick reply.

Edit: Here is what I got in response to my temperature and fan noise ticket.

"Dear Val, The temperatures are actually very normal, under high load you'll reach to the low 90's and under idle condition temps will be from 45-55, There should be no need to open the laptop and we do not recommend it as warranty will void, please do leave as is, Thank you."

That is just the dumbest thing I've heard. At least it seems to be dumb especially since we already have someone who was able to put new thermal paste on top and got much lower temps. Plus I bet the battery life might have improved a bit due to less heat on the battery.

So any more suggestions since they don't think anything is wrong with the notebook?

Last edited:
I also have the same problem as BatmanNinja. During idle, the temperature is around 43-46, and the cpu usage at 95% is around 90-95. Besides, my left fan is working but just slighly, not powerful as right fan. Feel worry about temperature isn't bit too high.

Well you probably are right that I don't have the skills he does, though I am experienced with desktops, but since this is a notebook I never did the same things on notebooks as I did on desktops. All I've done is replace hard drives and ram, no experience with notebook GPU and CPU.

Anyway beside the point. I did make a ticket and will give them a call tomorrow as well when they are open, but I really hope I don't have to pay for shipping just to get this fixed because I will not care and just void the stupid *** warranty if I have to just to save few bucks. I never had any problems with laptops in my life when I needed a warranty, in fact I found extending or buying warranty for a laptop or notebook just as pointless as getting an insurance for a smartphone.

But we'll see what they have to say.
Thank you for the quick reply.

Edit: Here is what I got in response to my temperature and fan noise ticket.

"Dear Val, The temperatures are actually very normal, under high load you'll reach to the low 90's and under idle condition temps will be from 45-55, There should be no need to open the laptop and we do not recommend it as warranty will void, please do leave as is, Thank you."

That is just the dumbest thing I've heard. At least it seems to be dumb especially since we already have someone who was able to put new thermal paste on top and got much lower temps. Plus I bet the battery life might have improved a bit due to less heat on the battery.

So any more suggestions since they don't think anything is wrong with the notebook?

Possibly better Laptop life, agreed. Well 90C is within design specs and if they say it's normal you should just use it and live with it. How much longer do you have on the warranty?

Lastly, if your used to working on PC's, go ahead and do it. But, PM the guy here with the exact laptop and find YouTubes etc on how to do it. If you done T-paste and built a few desktops, you can do it.

Up to you I guess. Good luck. "You feel lucky?"

I got one of the first of these at newegg last week. It heats up crazy hot, like 100C if you run Prime95 for about a half hour. It throttles down to 2.6 GHZ. It's acceptable but it cant be right. I emailed MSI with a tech support request, I guess they will send me an RMA. I bet none of these are pasted right, I really wish I had waited and ordered from Xotic PC or Gentech and had them repaste it.

For this comp... ENSURE you get an external DVD burner, or a 32GB thumb drive and use the MSI Back up utility! The windows back up will not restore your system to the way you would think, "activated windows" and all... only use the windows back up for your documents/music/pics to an external...

Also, if you do a MSI disk recovery, IT ALSO WIPES the 2nd 1TB HDD... basically puts the comp to "out of box settings."

Do what Conumdrum said first tho...

I got one of the first of these at newegg last week. It heats up crazy hot, like 100C if you run Prime95 for about a half hour. It throttles down to 2.6 GHZ. It's acceptable but it cant be right. I emailed MSI with a tech support request, I guess they will send me an RMA. I bet none of these are pasted right, I really wish I had waited and ordered from Xotic PC or Gentech and had them repaste it.

I am getting a sneaking suspicion that this first batch is all done wrong... I had the gull to open mine up, but I highly recommend that you use the RMA way first.

Also, I believe this comp will always run warmer... it is a thin gaming laptop... that's what happens when you use high power hardware in a thin setting... your forced to skimp on the cooling.

Since repasting yours how hot does it run if you pin the CPU to 100% for an hour or so with Prime95 or something similar? What is the CPU speed at that point?

I called MSI today and they were pretty attentive. I sent them a screenshot from XTU, and I think they will send me an RMA later today to have them repaste it. They said they would show the screenshot to an engineer and probably want me to send it in for them to repaste.

Since I cracked my case, and noticed their folly... I tightened the heat sink with all screws as necessary, and used AS5 for the new paste. I now idle 38-43 and my max load with P95 is 89C after 20 min. BUT, I don't do anything that will stress the CPU, the only temps I see while using this for gaming is spikes of 74C with an average of 57-62C... It is warm for my liking, but its not like I am doing F@H on this rig.

Next step is to get a cooler pad too. for now, It is propped up at an angle in the back to get more air flow to the bottom fan intakes.

That's pretty cool for a laptop though.

The left fan spins up a lot more now doesn't it?

It's probably that the right fan spins less now as the temps are cooler. Considering that the GPU is being used by the left fan. Unless he somehow managed for the heatsink to pass through both cpu and gpu, which my guess is not a good idea, it is very unlikely that the left fan would suddenly spin after proper application of paste that brings lower temps.

MSI sent me a shipping label and an RMA number. They told me that those temps are too high and they will open it up and repaste it and make sure the heatsink is attached properly to the CPU.

Is there some easy way for me to back and restore my entire system at this point? They are not going to purposefully wipe the system but they told me it could happen so I should do backups. Should I just deactivate my registrations, backup my data, and make a list of apps to reinstall and hope for the best?

I have a cooler pad for mine, but it doesnt make much difference. About 2 degrees C less with pad than without. Maybe because the poor pasting is masking any improvement that might be realized.

MSI sent me a shipping label and an RMA number. They told me that those temps are too high and they will open it up and repaste it and make sure the heatsink is attached properly to the CPU.

Is there some easy way for me to back and restore my entire system at this point? They are not going to purposefully wipe the system but they told me it could happen so I should do backups. Should I just deactivate my registrations, backup my data, and make a list of apps to reinstall and hope for the best?

You GOTTA use the MSI BurnRecovery... you will have the option of making ISO files to burn to an external (16gb, 5 disks total), or a USB stick that make a 16gb boot disk... That will completely wipe your system though. Good thing is when you make the burnrecovery disks, is makes it in such a way that you don't have to re-activate windows...

Back up all your other stuff to a different external device like photos/music/gams/docs... those do not get included in burnrecovery. Burnrecovery is ment to restore your laptop to "stock conditions" INCLUDING THE 1TB HDD...

you do that, you will be good.

As for the Heat sinks... they are two separate copper "flat tubes" that cool the GPU and the CPU individually... but the "hold down" bracket covers both chips with about 8 screws (4 per chip area). And you are correct, the right fan (left side when its cracked open and upside down) is the CPU, that is typically the only one you will hear spooling up when the "fans" kick in. This NVidia GPU runs nice and cool it seems.

:comp::attn:

so all of you posting that you have this beast... even if you don't have issues now... make those MSI BurnRecovery disks or thumbstick before anything else! I already used it, and it only took 80min to "re-make" my system... I already had a 2TB external with all my games/files thankfully... so it was just re-install, and re-copy!

Is there any reason to use the BurnRecovery other than backup all the games and files that you just put on it, basically personal information?

Is there any reason to use the BurnRecovery other than backup all the games and files that you just put on it, basically personal information?

BurnRecovery is for Windows8 only... no files or info is saved...

For everything else you basically need an external HDD to copy your files to (like games, pics, music, docs...)

You MUST use BurnRecovery to re-install windows on this MSI laptop, or you run the risk of losing the key for re-activation of windows, or even as far as needing to buy a new copy of windows to install.

There are other programs out there too... but I have used the BurnRecovery to re-image my computer to stock, and have no issues.

That is the strangest thing. Every other laptop I had didn't need me to make a BurnRecovery, I would just reset it to the original state and everything would work. But I'll do the BurnRecovery anyway.

BTW it seems the temperatures have decreased for some reason. I am not getting 90C anymore. Right now my max is at 79C. Which is still kind of high but not 90C high. :) Strange.

Back