• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair AX 1200i Connectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweepee

Registered
Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading and considering a response to my post.

I am seriously considering a purchase of the Corsair AX 1200i power supply. I'm reading that this model uses their latest "type 3" connectors. This concerns me from the fact that I intend to build custom cables for my next build and so far I haven't been able to locate a source for the connectors. I have found plenty of sources for Corsair sourced cables but I really want to build my own for exact fitment.

Have any of you dealt with this issue before? If so, I would very much like to hear about your experience.

Thanks and have a great day :salute:

First question, what are the rest of the system specs? I doubt you need 1200W unless you're running a heavy OC on four GPUs.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read my post. I do realize this may be on the side of over-kill but I have some expansion plans for this machine in the future. The things that draw me to this supply are the efficiency and room for growth. In terms of efficiency as I've read, this supply has an efficient sweet spot somewhere in it's mid-range of loading. Again, I'm sure this will be "plenty" of supply and I could possibly find something a bit more budget minded but unless there are some serious drawbacks to using this supply the specifications look rather inviting to me at this time.

ASUS P9X79-E WS
I7-4930 Ivy
Undecided on RAM brand but 8 sticks for 64 MB
2 each 780 Ti to start with and possible third (SLI)
4 each 1 TB 7200 RPM drives
2 each SSD drives
Dual high-flow water pumps
DVD/Blue Ray
Card Reader
Firewire card with outboard Firewire audio recording interface (M-Audio 2626)
Dual Samsung 26" monitors
Caselabs M8
Likely something close to 18 low speed/low noise fans

Again, thanks for your consideration and advice.

With that setup it could be justified to stay in the efficiency range.

Now, the Type 3 connectors only apply to the end that plugs in to the PSU itself.
The ends going to the components are standard, as well as the pins.

Thank you,

That's to my point. I am hoping to make custom cables but cannot seem to locate a source for the connectors. Would you have any advice on where I could find them?

Good day to you :)

Thank you,

That's to my point. I am hoping to make custom cables but cannot seem to locate a source for the connectors. Would you have any advice on where I could find them?

Good day to you :)

If you can't find them anywhere, you can do it one of three ways:
- Buy a second set of cables from Corsair.
- Use the connectors on the set that comes with the PSU.
- Pick a different PSU that you can source connectors for.

I thank you.

To be clear. I am not going to use extensions but rather new custom wiring. I agree that an additional set of cable may be wise but what of the crimped connectors themselves? Would you know if those too are proprietary in nature?

Thank you...best wishes to you sir.

I thank you.

To be clear. I am not going to use extensions but rather new custom wiring. I agree that an additional set of cable may be wise but what of the crimped connectors themselves? Would you know if those too are proprietary in nature?

Thank you...best wishes to you sir.

If you buy a second set, only cut one end of the cable (the standard end) and you won't have to worry about proprietary pins/connectors.

Pull the pins out of the connectors that come with the PSU, crimp new pins on new wires, put new wires/pins into old connectors.

Odds are extremely good that the pins, and the connectors, are all minifit-jr.

I'm making the happy assumption that you have a good crimper, of course. If you don't, go buy one.

EDIT:
As a note, I seriously doubt you need 1200w.
780s are 250w, CPU is 130ish I think.
Efficiency doesn't drop off meaningfully at the top end.
It drops off a lot at the low end, but if you're drawing 130w instead of 120w at idle, do you care?

I say buy for quality and wattage first, then for looks. Too much wattage only hurts your wallet, and then only at the initial purchase.
Looks? Well yes. Any gold or better, high quality, PSU will be happy anywhere on its load range, so efficiency is out the window as a worry.

Thanks very much for the insight. I have tendencies for over-kill. I surely didn't select this unit based upon it's looks. The efficiency and reviews are what drew me to it. The wattage well...it's huge and should be plenty.

In my reading of reviews I'm hearing that the connector shells may be of a proprietary design. I've made cables before and every now and then it happens that something gets "boogered up". Just curious if anyone had found a source.

Since everyone so far wants to steer me away from this product...lets change this up a bit then...what would you recommend as an alternative? Keeping in mind I do want for a power supply with plenty of oomph and can leave me with plenty of room for additional cards and over clocking. If I buy once nothing lost but the initial investment but, if I have to buy twice because I didn't plan well...you see my point.

Again...thanks very much for the consideration and insight. I find it very helpful.

Seasonic-X (any) is what I'd go for.

I'm particularly fond of the be quite! Dark Power Pro series, but they're quite expensive.

The AX1200i is an excellent units it's just a touch overkill and very expensive. Other than that, no issues.

I've heard good things about the Seasonic supplies. I'll give those a good long look. Thanks for the advice. Have a great day!

Seasonic X-1250 on JonnyGuru
Only lost marks for its price. 10/10 everywhere else.

Corsair AX1200i on JonnyGuru
Lost a touch for functionality, and some in pricing.

Both outstanding units, looks like both use standard Molex pins like Bob linked earlier.
The Seasonic has a couple more PCIe connectors (8 vs 6), but a few less SATA connectors (11 vs 16).

It is worth noting that the AX1200i is a 24-pin motherboard connector unlike the X-1250 having a 20+4. The +4 helps with older system compatibility.
This could be nice if you need to test some older hardware, but I wouldn't use that to sway my decision.

Thanks very much...that Seasonic is looking more and more appealing.

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but as of tomorrow I'll have 3 1000W Corsair PSUs with Type 3 connectors. I can use my multimeter to give you a pin-out if you would like?

Ok, please excuse the crappy graphic, but for PCI-E connectors:

PCIE.png

Red is PSU side, blue is video card side, you are looking at the connector on the cable, and the block on top is the clip.

Code:
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 4 & 8
5 - 5
6 - 6
7 - 7
8 - No pin

EPS connector:

PCIE.png

Same as before, red is PSU side, blue is motherboard side. You are looking at the ends of the cables, and the block on top is the clip.

Code:
1 - 5
2 - 6
3 - 7
4 - 8
5 - 1
6 - 2
7 - 3
8 - 4

Is that enough for you, or do you need the molex and SATA connections too?

Back