• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OW, PSU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I'm being denied an RMA for a SuperMicro board because they say that my PSU must have damaged it and the warranty is voided.

But this power supply worked just fine in another system for a week after the problem with fried component on the motherboard. Also, it ran for 3 weeks prior to this point.

Are they just blowing smoke, or is this a legit denial?

I'm being denied an RMA for a SuperMicro board because they say that my PSU must have damaged it and the warranty is voided.

But this power supply worked just fine in another system for a week after the problem with fried component on the motherboard. Also, it ran for 3 weeks prior to this point.

Are they just blowing smoke, or is this a legit denial?

:shock:

Whaaattt? No RMA for that board! :mad:
Grrrrr. They know it's not the PSU. :mad:

Did you notice any damage on the board before you sent it in?

It has been RMA'd twice. First time, it ran for a few weeks, then started having problems shutting down and requiring turning off power before it would boot up again. One time a component fried when turning the power back on. They RMA'd it from that. However it looks like that first board also fried a CPU so that it now kills boards it is put in.

It was a Corsair right torin?

So it wasn't some rinky dinky PSU.
The only thing that comes to mind is a power surge....

How could SuperMicro know, unless their motherboard contained overvoltage protection devices (TVS diodes), as hard disks do? But I don't think any mobo has them.

I used to think SuperMicro made only premium mobos, but then a few years ago I saw a NewEgg picture showing a SuperMicro made with cheapo OST or G-Luxon capacitors.

Back