• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which graphics card is better???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

hey guys, sorry but i'm a bit out of the loop...

i am looking for a card to replace my 9600 pro.... something that'll run doom3 and hl2 exceptionally...

i don't mind it being pci-e or agp but pci-e is perferred...

the cards i was looking at was the radeon x700 pro...
geforce 6600gt
geforce 6800LE
geforce 6800
geforce 6800gt
and finally geforce 6800ultra...

i also wouold like to see some benchmarks... for the cards.. so does anyone have a link of a comparrison of these cards?

once again thanks in advance

hey DD,

before I recamend anything, what rig are you puting this in?

you don't want pci-e for that rig.

mica

well i'm thinking about making me a new intel rig... if i do then i'll probably want to go with pci-e. That or if i decide to stay with my rig, it'll be agp. Botom line is this...
i want to be able to run hl2 and doom3 on a computer, and run it well.

well, obviously, the ultra is the best, but most expensive... if you can get 400 bucks, you can get a 6800GT PCI-e... but you can't put a pci-e card in a agp mobo (R9600 is AGP and PCI, i believe, and i doubt ur mobo has a PCI-E slot if you had a 9600 before.. if you are upgrading, get the 6800GT, its around 400, and it can be clocked at the ultra speeds with stock cooling (100 dollars off of the $500 ultra).. if you want smaller price, a 6800NU is around 300, 6600GT around 250 (Ive seen at 200 tho) and 6600 is just around the 200 dollar range....

if you do go with a new intel PCI-E then get the ATI x800xl, comming out soon.
(one to two months is my guess)

at $300.00 it will kill the 6800gt and x800pro, with all cards at stock speeds.

if staying AGP then look into the 6800gt or x800pro.
both will OC nice and should cost you no more then $400.00
since you might go AGP, then get nothing less then the cards mentioned...
you don't want to feel the need to buy another AGP card if a lesser card is bought.

mica

The only uneasiness about the x800xl is that it just doesn't overclock. If you want a better performer get a 6800gt or an x800xt. I know these cost more, but the x800xl can't touch them at stock speeds even while overclocked. There is a reason ATI put it's lower nanometer chips in the x800xl while it retains its higher nanometer chips in the other, more expensive x800 series cards.

"The only uneasiness about the x800xl is that it just doesn't overclock. If you want a better performer get a 6800gt or an x800xt."

dude, please stop spreading misinformation. the x800xl is $300 and comes at 400/1000 and should do a small overclock, I saw reviewers get the core in the 440 range and the ram near or 1100. The x850xt is the high end verson, comes at 540/1180 and those also overclock about 10% for the core putting it around 600MHz. The ram for those is maxed out and ocs alot less than what the x800xl does. also x850xt is like twice the price of the x800xl making it a very bad deal for slightly higher clocks and another 10% more fps youd never even notice. As for cpu, do NOT get an intel cpu, they are way too slow! Please take a look at this:

5453.png

the choice is clear.

Overclocker550 said:
"The only uneasiness about the x800xl is that it just doesn't overclock. If you want a better performer get a 6800gt or an x800xt."

dude, please stop spreading misinformation. the x800xl is $300 and comes at 400/1000 and should do a small overclock, I saw reviewers get the core in the 440 range and the ram near or 1100.
...:mad: Talk about being a hypocrite. YOU are wrong. The overclocks ARE poor. Most dont even break 420 and 1050 on the RAM. Its a good card, but it IS powerstarved and the overclocks will be exceptionally poor.

Sentential said:
...:mad: Talk about being a hypocrite. YOU are wrong. The overclocks ARE poor. Most dont even break 420 and 1050 on the RAM. Its a good card, but it IS powerstarved and the overclocks will be exceptionally poor.

Thank you.

we cant make a generalization based on a couple reviews and besides only 10% of us overclock and ati doesnt care, the other 90% doesnt base cards on overclocks anyway. besides for $300 many people dont care if it doesnt overclock, its still a good price bro.

Back