• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 and CoolerMaster X6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

byron182

I'm planning on upgrading my system in a couple of weeks and I'm kinda concerned whether my CoolerMaster X6 cpu cooler will fit the Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 because of its 2 tall chipset heatsinks. Have you guys tried these setup? any info would really help. Thanks

Attachments

• GIGABYTE_990FXA-UD3_Review_Board_06.jpg
    GIGABYTE_990FXA-UD3_Review_Board_06.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 784
  • GIGABYTE_990FXA-UD3_Review_Board_07.jpg
    GIGABYTE_990FXA-UD3_Review_Board_07.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,585
  • cooler_master_x6_01.jpg
    cooler_master_x6_01.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 511
no reason for it not to fit, but a word of wisdom, reconsider that mobo. i bought one couple days ago, 149.99$ and it doesnt even have uefi bios

It ought to fit just fine. The heatsinks aren't all that tall really.

When you get that thing the first thing to do is go into the BIOS (which I prefer to graphical UEFI things...) and turn off Core Performance Boost.

I can't speak for the V6 from experience but a Thermalright Silver Arrow fits easy. The Silver Arrow does block the first 2 Ram slots so normal heatsinks ie. nothing sticking above the RAM PCB.

no reason for it not to fit, but a word of wisdom, reconsider that mobo. i bought one couple days ago, 149.99$ and it doesnt even have uefi bios

Yeah, I know. But it doesn't really matter to me. I like the old school bios. How's the mobo? any issues I need to know about?

I was searching for some alternative mobos and the ASROCK 990fx extreme 3 gen3 looks good even if you have to flash the newer bios. It got some good reviews from newegg.com.

Newegg reviews are generally considered to be jokes here.

That being said, any ASRock, ASUS, or Gigabyte board is going to be solid.

Newegg reviews are generally considered to be jokes here.

That being said, any ASRock, ASUS, or Gigabyte board is going to be solid.

Well, that clears some things up. Who makes mobos with a 5%-10% defect and are still in business. Anyway. I'm now leaning to the ASROCK 990FXA Extme 3. Not a lot of boards to choose from where I'm at. The only 2 other alternative which is the MSI 990FXA-GD65 and the ASUS sabertooth

It looks cool but Its more expensive though. I have to stay on budget with the processor and power supply I'm getting with it

I just ordered the ASRock 990FXA-Extreme 3 mobo... Crossing fingers..

Make sure your DDR3 ram has low profile heat sinks, I use Viper Extreme on a 990FXA-UD5, the V6GT has the clearance for these modules but not with the X6.

Back