• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bitfinex margin trading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the advice. I stick with that pretty good. I haven't yet been caught though where the market takes a dive while I'm holding. I try to only play when I know I can keep an eye on things. Most my trades are within an hour, rarely longer.

I made another $1.50 today playing the doge/btc swings. I actually made almost twice that, but I took a loss once and had two good trades.

Still been trading on crytpsy though, I haven't actually taken any action on bitfinex yet.

Best of luck to you, Matt. I made myself a Bitfenix account a while ago when BTC were pouring in (relative to today), but even then (when BTC were ~$15) I didn't have the steel to trade something that I saw a big upward potential in. As I was reading your brief (but concise) summary of the Bitfenix options, I thought about perhaps loaning my own liquidity to make some interest, but I also remember the days of "the hacks." Hacks that Superbx was also around to witness, and he actually lost some coins. Over the years with Bitcoin, I've basically stuck to the thought that if it seems too good to be true, stay the hell away from it (case and point, the Pirate pyramid scheme fiasco). Now this isn't something that everyone should do. If you have the time to spend watching markets and are confident you can make money, then go for it. But as someone who has reached something like 30,000%+ ROI, I don't see any need to get overly exposed to the movements of the market.

That's funny because I agree with where you are coming from on that.

At the same time, I don't think I could be comfortable holding onto $10K+ in BTC after reaching an ROI like yours, I'd be real tempted to cash out while it is fully guaranteed real value rather than nearly guaranteed more future value.

That is pretty ironic for me. Risk is always a balance though, and with no pressing need for funds, I think your move is the right one.

I couldn't agree more. Any moves I really make with BTC are because of necessity, or because I bought something with BTC that was hard to find with USD (at the same price point). But I really don't have a huge need for USD, so it's far too high in upward potential to cash out now. If everything goes to crap, I've at least pulled out my initial investment plus a few free gpu's here and there. I've got no reason to complain.

Did you get zhoutonged? Just wondering if the recent dips have ruined you. I don't know how much this specific exchange dropped, but I suspect the margin calls or whatever it is, that takes all your balance when value dips.

Put it on hold, been really busy with school and my part time job, and I just got a job offer yesterday. I pulled out the .06 BTC I had in there also, as i never did get the rest I intended to moved over, and moved it into Cryptsy instead. I've worked my way up to .76BTC now, and maybe .35BTC of that has been jumping in and out on Doge as it rises and falls... I've been risking my entire holdings, so about $500 worth of BTC currently, but I've very consistently made gains on the doge market and some of them relatively big (I consider over 8% gains big, most my trades are small and only 1-3%).

I have been wrong a lot too, I just jump out early and take losses though so they've been small and outweighed by the gains.

When I looked closer at bitfinex, I realized I really didn't understand what I was about to do, and that's the biggest reason I put it on hold. I will out $50 back over there at some point and just put it in the wind and see what happens... But I still want a solid understanding of what I'm basically doing and it is confusing.

Back