• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help. think power supply is dieing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capthowdy

Registered
ok so I have a asus P5NT Deluxe 780i mb. brand new. updated the bios. new ddr2 ram. new asus gtx 480. western digital black drive its a Thermaltake tough power 700 watts and a dvd rom and a c2d 6550. just ordered a c2q q9300 though. I have a after market cpu heat sink and cooler.. copper heat pipes. and ram has heat spreaders. and running windows 7 64 bit. now the pc will start up. I can do almost anything on it.. in till I go and load a game.. soon as I press on a game second later BOOM power instantly off.. no blue screen. no reboot. just shuts down. .. and its id say 7 years old if not a little older. I did blow everything out of inside of it. I did test with just 1 stick of ram. then tested all the ram.. downloaded OCCT did the power supply test and BOOM soon as I hit start pc shut down. no blue screen no reboot just shut down. have to power on by switching the power button.

let me mention this when I put in the cpu I put thermal paste on the cpu and paste on the heat sink. should I have done this? I have core temp. idol 1 core is 21c the other is 27c the core 2 duo 6550 is also 7 or 8 years old.

the cpu coulda been over heated once or twice. but I tried battlefield 3. and 4. 3d mark vantage. I no when you start a game the video card needs more power. and since the psu is sooo old. and it shut down doing occt program how many people out there think its the power supply?? hope it is cause I just ordered a evga supernova from Newegg. evga makes good psu don't they? it was on sale. anyways any help or comments or opinions would help

If its just cutting off without a BSOD or lockup then it definitely sounds like the PSU.

i will do psu will be in Monday.. so will my c2q q9300.. did I apply to much thermal paste? put a spread on the chip and a spread on the heat sink.. also I have a copper heat sink now with 2 pipes.. I ordered a brandnew zalman cnps80 heat sink, this is the one I bought http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-CNPS80 witch one do you think be better.. the one that's in now has fins 2 pipes and bottom is copper with the same size fan as the zalman I just no zalman are pretty good. idle in core temp 1 core says 21c the other says 28c and its not over clocked. thank you guys very very much!!

Doesn't necessarily have to be the PSU. Could be the mobo or vid card also.

What GPU did you have before?
The GTX480 can draw over 300w if you look at it wrong, so unless you had a GTX295 before, it's probably a significantly higher load.

They've been known to be DOA as well. Same for RAM etc.

My money is on the PSU, secondary bet on the GPU.

EVGA SuperNOVA gold rated not-the-NEX1500 PSUs are pretty good as of last time I checked.

motherboard is new.. ram I used in my last system and are good.. I ran a memtest. and also cpu test. and when I run thinks like evga stress test gpu stays on. and works great.. just when I ran occt the psu side. boom shut off. and go into a game boom shut off.. I can put in a 9800gt and test it on that. but a 9800gt don't use as much power. maybe get the evga if it shuts down again try the 9800gt .. also I asked should I have put the thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink? I don't remember what kinda heat sink it is. but it has fins a round fan on top and 2 pipes bottom is copper.. or I bought a brandnew zalman cnps80 I wont be doing any over clocking. link to zalman http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-CNPS80 many thanks

You absolutely need thermal paste between CPU and heatsink. If you don't have any in there, that is quite possibly your problem.

let me retype this.. I put thermal paste on the cpu and the heat sink.. was I only suppose to put thermal paste on one or the other? like just put it on the cpu and not heat sink.. or put it on the heat sink and not the chip.. also can you tell me In your opinion what heat sink would you use.. this one zalman http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-CNPS80

or this one is the one i have on now http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-OPTIPL...?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item4acd9f1262 I no zalman or really good..

For thermal paste all you need is a grain of rice size drop on the middle of the CPU.

Out of your two choices of coolers I pick Zalman CNPS80F Ultra Quiet

ok thank you guys sooo much!!!! and thanks wingman for your imput.. ill shut it all down tear it apart.. put on the zalman.. ill record the temps now then check after see if it does any better.. should I wipe off the thermal paste on the chip.. and just apply the thermal paste on the zalman block. just a grain itll spread out right

Clean the CPU off and just put the paste on the middle of the CPU and it will spread on it's own when you install the Zalman cooler.

solved new power supply evga 600 watts.. no shutting off. one more thing tho I bought 2 different kinds of ddr2 ram there both ocz 800.. but heres the model of them ocz2p8002g and ocz2g8002g I think ones gold 1 is platinum. I cant find where to find the speeds so I can set them in the bios. been haven bosds bbc code 1000007e only when I turn it on then once I restart again it works. I did update direct x. and gonna re do video card drivers. cpuz it shows 5-5-5-18-24 on the gold and 6-6-6-24 on the platinum. should I set the ram just as 6-6-6-24 see if maybe its the ram speeds different. or any ideas many thanks

Post some screen shots with CPU-Z. The screen shots we would like to see is memory and SPD.

Last edited:
Back