• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big project, $3200 cnd budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't buy a Corsair Obsidian unless I was watercooling.

- Get something like the Coolermaster HAF932/ATCS 840/Antec 1200/Cosmos S/ etc..
- Intel i7 920 (you're throwing away money with anything higher)
- Video card looks fine, although a 5870 (or two) would be a good alternative.
- Memory is a good choice
- HDD (platter style) 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black
- SSD (intel is good, but might think about Raid - if you do go raid then go with a Samsung controller based model)
- I wouldn't buy the TRUE either; Megahalems, Black Shadow, Venomous X, Noctua NH-D14 are all better.
- Motherboard; I would buy an Asus P6X58D Premium (better features and better layout)
- PSU: Buy a well-rated modular 1KW unit, not the PCP&C model you listed (HX1000 you linked to is solid, but there are others)

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a Corsair Obsidian unless I was watercooling.

- Get something like the Coolermaster HAF932/ATCS 840/Antec 1200/Cosmos S/ etc..
- Intel i7 920 (you're throwing away money with anything higher)
- Video card looks fine, although a 5870 (or two) would be a good alternative.
- Memory is a good choice
- HDD (platter style) 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black
- SSD (intel is good, but might think about Raid - if you do go raid then go with a Samsung controller based model)
- I wouldn't buy the TRUE either; Megahalems, Black Shadow, Venomous X, Noctua NH-D14 are all better.
- Motherboard; I would buy an Asus P6X58D Premium (better features and better layout)
- PSU: Buy a well-rated modular 1KW unit, not the PCP&C model you listed (HX1000 you linked to is solid, but there are others)

I agree on the 920 part.

For the hard drive, it's $350 for a 2TB WD Black versus $100 each for 1TB WD Blacks. Throwing money out the window with the bigger one.

None of those other coolers are sold by memoryexpress.com.

The P6T will clock just as good, and the layout is just fine. No need to spend more.

For the PSU, unless he's running dual 5970s (pointless unless you're running at least 3 2560x1600 screens) there is no reason to go with 1kw. Even with a clocked up i7 and 5970, it'll be using under 500 watts loaded.

P6T will hit the blck wall around 205 - I know, I have one.. The P6X58D is $10 more (from newegg.com - not sure about the canada side).

Agree on the HDD - the 2TB is just damn sexy and really fast. Just depends on what he plans to do with them.

When it comes to PSU's, I always buy more power than I need. :D
And glad I did, because my dual 5870s pull nearly 500W under load. Keep in mind the efficiency rating..

Megahalems http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=39370&vpn=MEGAHALEMS&manufacture=Prolimatech

Black Shadow http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=48884&vpn=Mega Shadow&manufacture=Prolimatech

Venomous X http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=48267&vpn=Venomous X&manufacture=Thermalright

Noctua NH-D14 http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=47090&vpn=NH-D14&manufacture=Noctua <------ after reading a few reviews on this one, it seems it might actually block some of the RAM slots.

Ncix has all of those...so what one should I go with :p

Last edited:
Well, the Black Shadow is a Megahalems (just nickel plated) - both perform the same I believe, which is very well.

The Noctua has reviewed well and is certainly a top performer. Plus is already has two very good fans. A pair of good fans will cost between 15 and 30 for the others.

The venomous-x is brand new and surely performs well.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

You need to update your first post with the products you are going with, so more time can be spent talking about things you are on the fence about.

what is your hard drive choice?
are you doing RAID? are you going multiple drives? single drive?

What are you putting as monitors on this sucker?

The Level 10 is so awesome though. It doesn't have a window, and I'm not sure about watercooling, but it's just so unique, and everyone who has it likes it. My second choice, for sure, is the Corsair 800D, but that Level 10 is just too cool. Plus I love BMW's.

Whoa, I've never seen that before. Looks amazing :eek:

Well bought everything except the video card, CPU cooler and the SSD. Gotta get those from ncix or another source

For SSDs, my recommendation in no particular order:
Intel, OCZ, Corsair, Crucial

These four brands seem to have about the best support for firmware and such.

Holy, this is a massive build. If you can get hold of the HD5970 then get it get it.

Be sure to take pictures once you're done,

Awesome. I'm genuinely excited to see the final product. Looks to be one of the most kickass builds I've ever seen (specs of :)).

People waste to much money on stupid **** like cases and over priced power supplys. Waste money on good storage, SSDs... I've never spent more than $100 on a case in my life and there's no reason to.

People waste to much money on stupid **** like cases and over priced power supplys. Waste money on good storage, SSDs... I've never spent more than $100 on a case in my life and there's no reason to.

Do you want a cookie or something?

You're right. Who needs a decent PSU anyway. Just stick to POWMAX.

Back