• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2003 boycott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Ok folks, a lot of people are having probs w/ UT2003 at present.
Just look here if you disagree:
http://www.ina-community.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=258
Many of you are enjoying the game right now and you should!
Many of us are not and we are Peeved! I personally think that if you are planning on buying UT2003 wait until the game is patched and working. If you buy the game now you are supporting companies that produce buggy games and expect us to sit back and wait until they fix it.
Below is a post on the above forum:

Lets stop whining and just return the game?!?!

This will let infogrames really know what the public thinks of the game and their lack of support and teach other companies not to ship buggy games!

Return the game, get a refund or exchange it.
When the game gets patched and working we can go out and buy it AGAIN.
There is no doubt that it is a sweet game but we are all waiting needlessly for a patch. If I had a heads up as to when the patch was aproaching I would hold on to the game, but so far the game does not work on either computer and i would be better playing a game that works than writing on this forum...agree?

Basically, boycott UT2003 until they get their act together...this is not the first buggy game to be released and not the first time consumers have been screwed over...

BUT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME A GAME HAS BEEN BOYCOTTED BY GAMERS. RETURN THOSE GAMES BOYS AND PASS THE WORD ALONG!!!

Let the CEO's at infogrames know that we as consumers and gamers have power, and will not put up w/ crappy end products. If we dont take a stand than companies like Infogrames will continue to put profit before quality and we get the short stick in the end.

Wega! said:
I haven't had any problems with UT2003. What kind af problems are people having?
Check the link above..
Basically it will not start, crashes to desktop and the good ol' BSOD!

There is no support from the devs at present and no word on a patch.
Basically peeps are helping each other problem solve...people are trying diff drivers, beta patches, no cd patchs etc etc etc...so for me, I am kinda frusterated and anoyed and so are quite a few others.
If you bought a product and took it home to find that it did not work, you would return it..but we gamers are pretty patient and understanding will wait till a patch is released. We all know that there will be compatibility issues etc...but for a game not to work for so many people is wrong. They really should tested it out more before release, it is not fair that we the consumers are paying $70 to be beta testers!!

And if any one gives me the counter argument about how whiny I am and how hard the devs have it trying to make the game compatible w/ some many configurations or how it is user error, I will pop out of the monitor and squeeze your nose until you cry Mama!:D
Many of my games work fine from the box...Tribes 2 and UT20003 are the exceptions....oh can anyone else think of other games that did not work from the box...was that a okay experience for you? Did you mind not playing your new game? Do you think it was worth your money?
Listen, we pay for quality products...and as consumers we can be picky because if business #1 sells a poor product we can easilly go to Business#2 and get a better one. If business #1 does not shape up...he goes out of business!! We have power and how we spend our money affects business and economy..so far gaming companies must think we are complete suckers or else they would not ship travesties like Daikatana, WW2 online etc

I think ut2003 is tripe...

sure, if I hadnt of played anything like ut or q3 I would of loved it and played it for hours and hours...but its unoriginal, and plays the same as its ancestors - and since I got bored of ut and q3 a year ago the game is just not fun to play :|

I thought maybe bombing run might intice me cos its different but its just the worst thing ever :( - I am still enjoying realism mods though so lets hope some good ones get brought out for it

UT2003 rox!!! I don't have any problems with it. After some tweaking thanks to that TweakTown guide, its running even smoother! Even my old P3-550MHz with 256MB memory & an old Riva TNT 16MB graphics card runs it quite fine at 640x480! Played on the LAN a few hours ago!

BUT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME A GAME HAS BEEN BOYCOTTED BY GAMERS. RETURN THOSE GAMES BOYS AND PASS THE WORD ALONG!!!
Surely you mean the people who've been facing problems, right? I've bought several games & never had any problems with any games!! Its usually a problem on my machine, instead of the game. I find no reason for returning it, its not a shi7 game, its UT!!! Obviously they'll fix all the problems & make improvements using their patch releases! :)

ya i hear ya....of course if the game works keep it and enjoy!!!!!
I am talking to those who have probs w/ it and also just a warning to those who may be buying the game...read up on the forums first. It is no doubt a sweet game but really buggy for some people..it does not seem to matter waht system you have...people w/ ati to nvidia have probs, peeps w/ sis and via chipsets have probs, intel and amd also.....so why it works for some and not for others is beyond my Ken.

Mine works fine, there are a few errors every now and then, but my gameplay is worth a few snags.

If I wanted to blame anyone it is all the whiny little ****s that complained and pushed and pushed to get the thing out in the first place. It was so frustrating trying to sort through all the flame posts in the gaming forums during the months leading up to the demo release.

I feal bad for those who are having problems because of whatever hardware conflicts they are having, but that just means less conjested servers for me. Cheers.

Yeah, I have a few peeves against UT2K3, but not because of crashing! I'm kinda peeved that the documentation is so scarce and I'm annoyed by the requirement that the CD must be in the tray to start the game. But the game (and the server) have been very stable for me. I could sure use some advanced instructions when it comes to administering the server, though. There was plenty of extra room on three CDs to place some extra .txt files!

Having gone through the ina-community forums, I must agree that there doesn't seem to be anyone from epic showing up to talk about or help with anyone's problems. It could simply be that they are all working on fixing everything the read about. But, I think they could at least post some acknowledgements that they are trying to track this stuff down.

I would imagine that some are peeved that they cannot copy the CDs or they themselves are causing their own crashes by installing beta patches or 'unofficial' patches to remove the requirement of having the CD in the tray to launch.

I'm sorry, but this game ROXORS too hard for a few whiners to have much of an impact.

No MBIGNA we are not causing our own crashes...the game does not work from the onset so we try new things to get it working!
We are helping the devs(if they actually read the stuff we post on infogrames forums) by testing out and reporting diff configs, drivers and patches.

I agree the game rocks a-plenty, but not for everybody..so next time you are playing remember us "beta testers" who are whining unessesary? because we spent $70 for a game that we cannot play:confused:

Telling people to boycott games is one thing, having them actually going to the stores in droves like they need to is another story. I honestly don't think it'll happen.

You have to also understand that:

1) The people who code the games are only human. There's bound to be errors.

2) They're coding the game for PC. And as we like to say around the OC Forums, no two computers are exactly the same. They could spend years on testing and still have issues.

Do you people honestly think that the games come out of some kind of vortex and right to the shelves? Do you think that the CEO of [game company] does all the coding by hand himself? If the game doesn't work the way it should, either wait for a patch or return it, don't p*ss and moan about it.

Oni said:
Telling people to boycott games is one thing, having them actually going to the stores in droves like they need to is another story. I honestly don't think it'll happen.

You have to also understand that:

1) The people who code the games are only human. There's bound to be errors.

2) They're coding the game for PC. And as we like to say around the OC Forums, no two computers are exactly the same. They could spend years on testing and still have issues.

Do you people honestly think that the games come out of some kind of vortex and right to the shelves? Do you think that the CEO of [game company] does all the coding by hand himself? If the game doesn't work the way it should, either wait for a patch or return it, don't p*ss and moan about it.
I have heard that counter argument so many times now...get ready ONI..I am reaching thru the monitor to slap u silly:p

Of course I understand that coding is not that easy.....however not everygame that comes out is as buggy as a $2 hooker, if they were we would all be playing on a x-box!
My complaint is for those games that are released too soon and the consumer is made to suffer. Does no one here think that the game they bought should be able to be played straight from the box?
I expect a few bugs and I am pretty patient and understand that patch may take a few days...but it has been over 2 weeks for some of us and we still have yet to enjoy the game!
Dont ship the product unless it works! I dont half expect that my new tv may or may not work when i bring it home and say to myself..."oh those poor hardworking technicians, gee whiz, they have it rough, hope they dont get mad if I call and complain". "I will just put the tv in the corner and hope it works". Do you bring a new appliance anD accept it does not work. Damn no..you bring it back and expect a refund or exchange. We as gamers settle for less on more occasions and I personally am sick of it...if I am alone in this that is fine...but the forum at infogrames is abuzz w/ complaints! So, should we sit back and say "oh those poor hard working devs...gee whiz, i hope they put my $70 to good work and get a patch out soon"?..I did not pay to be a beta tester.!!!!
BEND OVER INFOGRAMES AND CHECK OUT MY CONSUMER ALERT!!!:mad:
BTW..UT2003 does not work on either computer in my sig..now that is #$%'ed up!!!

Trying to slap a ninja, eh? The gauntlet has been thrown down, my friend, and I shall answer with vigor!

*grabs bokken off the wall* Have at you!

however not everygame that comes out is as buggy as a $2 hooker, if they were we would all be playing on a x-box!

You're right, not every game that comes out is as buggy as a $2 dollar *****, but then again, not every game is released on the same engine. For example, take Quake 3. The Quake 3 engine is one of the most widely used in the gaming industry. It has therefore been playtested the most, and most (if not all) of the bugs in the engine have been dealt with. That, and the engine has been in development since Quake 1, so it's bound to be not buggy. Now, take the UT2k3 engine. New engine, based loosely on the original UT engine. They put a whole shebang of new stuff in this engine, so there are bound to be bugs in it. And as I said earlier, the playtesters can't possibly test for every system on the market, because every system on the market is not the same. The full release of UT2k3 has been out for what? 2 months at best, right? So this engine has not been tested on half as many systems as my original example, the Quake 3 engine.

These playtesters also don't take overclocking into account I would imagine. That's system instability you introduce yourself (and no matter how stable you think it is, it's not. Deal).

I expect a few bugs and I am pretty patient and understand that patch may take a few days...but it has been over 2 weeks for some of us and we still have yet to enjoy the game!

Change days to months and you'll be golden. You honestly expect them to patch the game in a few days?! Have you been huffing paint fumes?! It takes weeks or months to gather enough data from users who are having troubles (like yourself) before they can accurately identify a problem and patch it. You have to remember this game is HUGE! I certanly wouldn't wanna wade through that much code without knowing what I was gunna have to do first.

For them, it works on the majority of systems. Your system was not in the majority, along with many other systems. They'll patch it and it'll pro'lly work after that. Hey, at least they're releasing a patch for it. They don't have to.

I dont half expect that my new tv may or may not work when i bring it home

Apples and oranges. A TV isn't coded by 100-someodd people. A TV isn't meant to work under 1000's of different conditions and system configurations. A TV doesn't have code to be debugged. TVs are assembled by machines, code for games isn't. And while Human Error may factor in when a TV you buy doesn't work, it's probably not as prominant as in game code.

but the forum at infogrames is abuzz w/ complaints! So, should we sit back and say "oh those poor hard working devs...gee whiz, i hope they put my $70 to good work and get a patch out soon"?..I did not pay to be a beta tester.!!!!

Newsflash. You did pay to be a beta tester. Everybody who buys games, hardware, or anything else that is labeled 'Revision 1.0' is a beta tester. You just weren't informed. And I am quite sure that those hard working devs are working hard . . . as long as you give them something to do! Stop b*tching and send in your bug report! All games now have startup logs, that errors are written to when they're encountered. Find your log for UT2k3, write in to [email protected] or whatever the bug reporting email address is, and give them something to do! Maybe they can help you w/o need of a patch.

That's all I can tackle for now. I have to go to work.

subconcept lol yeah i agree on that :D

to an extent i agree with Puer, if we are paying in full for the product we should get it up and running out of the box there is nothing wrong in demanding that, that is our right as customers to expect our copy to run on the system which is BETTER than their recomended system on the box

1. Companies SHOULD pay serious attention to what they write on the box as "minimum system" and "recomended system"

2. I have no clue of how QA works in a gaming house, but they should do their testing on more user oriented systems and low systems than a high tech machine with every bell and whistle

3. Its not related to UT2003, but in readme of NFS: HS2 it is written "users of 8500 series card have to bring the detail level one notch down in order to play the game properly" now i qusetion this, why the @#@&) user have to bring the damn notch down?? if there is problem with the code you should FIX it rather than writting a line and blamming it on video card manufacture and drivers this is totally lame

4. Oni is right on the point that we simply can't force anyone to go to stores and return the product

As far as point of Version 1.0 purpose being beta testing than please don't you think the product should be priced lower for the BETA version?? they are charging for a full product don't they? if they expect the first version to be for "Beta Testing" than shouldn't mind people checking out the "Beta" version from some crappy warez site without paying and than buying the game when it comes out

Exactly you buy it so you can use it. Why pay for something that wont work or works very poorly. Even if it takes a week longer for a game to be released but to get a more refined and error free version I wouldnt mind, instead of buying a game and sitting around waiting for their lazy a--s to release a patch.

Maxvla i think the point is not how much amount of money is being paid, point is what we are paying for is a "finished" product so we expect it to run smooth the first time

If they are not giving us a working product they don't deserve to ask for high amounts of money for a buggy product, and its my own opinion that 90% of the buggy products which are shipped their coders and programmers know that they are buggy, they just care for how much money they make from their product
than the customers start complaining and whinning and they start working on a "patch"

Another thing with download the patches is they can sometimes be like 15 mb. I am on cable and its not a problem, but for someone on 56, downloading a 15 mb patch is an inconveience.

Id rather have quality then a speedy release.

Back