• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your job?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

What exactly do you do? How you feel about it? What did you do to get there? what education you have?
Many of our members are 14-15 year olds with ambition and I think it would help them to see whats out there for them and it would satisfy my curiosity.

I think this has been asked before, but I am game..

I am a Certified/Licensed Pharmacy Technician. Love the job I have.
Work 11 Hours a day, which is the way I like it. But, I can quite literally
come and go as I please. when I get time off, it is never a couple of
days, it is more like a week or two. Vacations are like nearly a Month long :D
I have a couple of years of College under the belt, but still I dont consider it enough,
and want more involving computers. Its just that RL keeps me from finishing.

I work for a small company (<60 employees) doing tech support/system admin/network admin/all around tech help for a School system outside DC. Currently surrounded by 2300 laptops that I am responsible for maintaining with a group of 5 other people.

I love the job and I am one of the people that has a real world approach to training. Except for one certificate program everything I know about computers has come from either past job experience or self teaching. I am sure that I am behind the curve in many things but I also have much more practical knowledge over the guy that got the job cause he knew how to read a book.

If you are looking at getting into the tech field you really out to get both practical and book knowledge. Even though I work at a high school I dont get the luxury of all the breaks the students get.

What else you want to know?

Adragontattoo said:
I work for a small company (<60 employees) doing tech support/system admin/network admin/all around tech help for a School system outside DC. Currently surrounded by 2300 laptops that I am responsible for maintaining with a group of 5 other people.

I love the job and I am one of the people that has a real world approach to training. Except for one certificate program everything I know about computers has come from either past job experience or self teaching. I am sure that I am behind the curve in many things but I also have much more practical knowledge over the guy that got the job cause he knew how to read a book.

If you are looking at getting into the tech field you really out to get both practical and book knowledge. Even though I work at a high school I dont get the luxury of all the breaks the students get.

What else you want to know?

Nothing else, just curious about what are people doing.

Well i am a realtor. I love my job being that i make my own schedule, even though it usually ends up im working 6 days a week, especially in the summer. I have 4 years of college under my belt but i knew i wanted to get into the family business my sophmore year. My degree is in communication. When i get a house and get out of this townhouse im in i plan on building a room off the back of my garage and throwing pottery as well.

Other than that, not much to tell..

WheaT

Got 3 years at university, taking Information Science and Administration & Organization Science. Then off to a "University college" (think that is the right name in english) where I got my Masters in Information Systems.

Now I'm working for a small organization (about 40 employees) doing everything from training and maintaining systems, to system specification and contract negotiating. And a lot of work on the web pages, working with an Oracle Portal. So basically using my knowledge of computers and organisations to make everyones work a lot easier!

Like it a lot, especially that no day is the same as the previous one, and there are always new challenges to face.

Im 17 still in high school. I currently bagger at local store here. I am morking on getting in as a school district tech. I'll be getting that in a few weeks when I turn 18 hopefully.

Im on my 3rd doing a degree in Computer Science, i have a HND in business I.T and im currently on a work placement. I hate it. Work placement is the worst thing in excistence. I am pretty much working minimum wage with maximum effort. Telling the company i was a student was the biggest misake. Avoid this and just start at an entry point job, you'll work up quicker and learn more.

Well I'm disabled so I can't work. Before my accident I started as a car mechanic's apprentice in my teens. Went to Apex tech. in NYC and got certified. In '78 went into the Navy. Got out in '84 and resumed the mechanics. Dreamed of having my own speed shop and commenced working towards that. In 1990 my dream was comming true. I had a small shop with 3 bays and 2 lifts. I even started a motorcycle repair shop on the side since it was in great demand. Staff was 6 guyz and 1 great woman handling paper work and phone. In Nov 1, 1991 as i was returning a motorcycle back to a customer a drunk cab driver ran a traffic light at in intersection and i got smacked bad. I wound up with a fractured spine and nerve damage to my legs. I was paralyzed from the waist down for 3 years. Underwent 2 operations and now have 2 herrington rods in my spine. Now I'm disabled for the rest of my life because of some dumba$$ drinking and driving :rolleyes: my dreams are now gone. I now have a hatred for ppl who drink and drive and jump for joy when i find out someone is doing jail time for it. Especially those that get DWI's and DUI's. I usually go to schools and talk to teens about what happend to me and they freak out when i show them the scars. Maybe this is what I'm supposed to do now, who knows.

I make a few extra bux on the side working on PC's from home.

This isn't a rant or anything, but you did ask.

:)

I know how you feel nebulous. Not about the drunk driving aspect but i can completely understand.

In 2001 i broke my back snowboarding out in lake tahoe. I had just finished winning the minnesota state hockey tournament, went out to lake tahoe and broke my back. I was paralyzed from the waste down. Had an operation out in Reno Nevada, and another one when i got back to minnesota. Through therapy and a lot of hard work i am able t walk with the help of leg braces. I am still paralyzed from a couple of inches below the knee and down. Still have some paralysis on different spots of my legs.

Now i know how i felt when i first got hurt. Knowing my life had changed dramatically. Fortunately I regained some of what i lost. However I couldnt even begin to know how i would have felt if i didnt get better. I empathize with you to the fullest.

WheaT

Nebulous, I know and agree with your hatred of Drunk drivers. My cousin was killed in 94 by her BF who was drunk(he killed the mother of his daughter). I have made it very clear that if I EVER see him, he will not have a chance to say a word before I kill him. He took a very good friend and relative from me and walked away (admittedly he did jail time but that was it), and took away my cousins mother, who she never got to know. Everyone in the family knows to keep any mention of him away from me as I have no qualms about stating my opinion of him.

but back to the topic at hand and happier things....

I work at a bank and work in ATM support. I hate my job. The hours are horrible and the pay sucks. Used to work as a mechanic but due to going through 2 kidney transplants and bad knees I wasn't able to lift anything over 25 lbs so I was let go and because of my knees I have pain in my legs to be on my feet all day. So I got this job through a relative.

P.S. Nebulous sorry to hear about your accident. I myself used to ride and have had many close calls on two wheels. I sold my scooter after my transplant because I didn't want to have to go through another one or dialysis again if some thing happened because I had an accident.

/Evil Voice

I work for the Goverment. And I'm here to help....

Need I say more? :D

I might be able to honestly answer this in 4 years after I retire and
am released of all obligations to secrecy.

:attn:

*unistalls various p2p programs....* :eek:

I turned 16 just over 3 weeks ago, so i could get a proper job, but i don't want to :p At the minute im a paper delivery boy; have been since Oct '04.... gonna quit in about 2 - 3 months though, after my GCSE exams and then go to college and see how things go with I.T.

I'm 23 and am a systems Analyst. I work on my company's helpdesk working case issues and every couple weeks or so I sit on the call center where I handle maybe 30-35 calls a day. Once every 4 months or so I'm primary on call for a week doing 24/7 support. Our "clients" are fellow company employees based in our building at headquarters (apprx. 3000 people) or elsewhere across the US and internationally (apprx. 30,000).

Mainly, I support PC, Windows, application, wired/wireless network connectivity, printer, print server, Novell, Active Directory, Citrix, Lotus Notes, Remote connectivity (iPass/Cisco VPN), handheld (blackberry), laptop/desktop hardware, thin client, and terminal emulation issues. Its an entry level position at a large corporation; it allows me to get exposure to a variety of issues/platforms. A lot of my work is walking clients through solutions by contacting them over the phone, and remote controlling into systems when possible.

I have a college education but am still finishing my bachelor degree. I started at the company 2 years ago as an intern - I went to a presentation some HR people from my company were doing at my college, ended up getting an interview and a job offer to intern. About 6 months ago my supervisors sat me down and just made me a full time job offer which I accepted (they're paying for me to finish my degree now, suckers).

My best advice for those of you entering college - find yourself a good internship or co-op program. You will learn more from this experience than from any of your classes, and it places you leaps and bounds ahead of your fellow classmates. It will make the problem of finding employment after college a non-issue, as well as making knowing what you are or aren't looking for much more apparent to you.

Last edited:
I went right from high school and began working in manufacturing for 3 and a half years and hated it.Ive been going to school to get my AA in network technologies and Ive been interning/part time as a basic PC tech at my school for 8 months and start full time Monday.School has been great for setting a good foundation of computer knowledge and the work is what has given me my skills.Grant it I came into the field knowing tons about desktop systems since Ive built quite a few PCs but the education along with my job has advanced my skills greatly.

As for what I do I support user workstations so basically when they can no longer log in,PC wont start,they need to be added to a switch I take care of it.The group I work with is a group of 9 full and part time employees and we support 3000+ workstations.Then we also have a group of interns which I was at one time.The intern numbers vary from 2 to 6 normally.I'm also being trained in nortell network equipment and though rare some of our cisco equipment.Though it isn't in use as nearly as much as it used to be Ive also learned a whole lot with our Novell servers which I must admit are really nice though not as easy as working with windows server 2k3 but I feel thats more so because of my ignorance of the system than anything else.

I got you all beat. I DONT HAVE A JOB!!!

LOL. No really, I am 16 and I am looking for a job, just not having good luck. Oh well, the search goes on.

I'm a Systems Admin for Northrop Grumman. I support a large variety of stuff for USPS. I have a BS in Business and a MBA. I've been working in IT for about 4 years now.

atm i am a salad tosser.....it takes a real man to admit it :D

i work at a salad bar at a grocery store, morning shifts i make salads or cut up fruit, and night shifts i prep for the morning shift, but i am hopefully geting transfered into produce, i love being the king of the salad bar (only guy in there) but i need someone to share my manly jokes with

Back