• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Need a smarter file copying tool for moving several TB of files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK so you would fire up a third party copy utility if you need a faster copy-paste operation and if you wanted to que up files to be copied because if you've already started a copy-paste operation in Windows, there is no queing up after that.

What else do people use them for?
Terracopy is pretty sweet, in that it handles all copy/pastes natively. If you drag and drop files in explorer, Terracopy automatically handles the copy. It's not like you have to go start it manually before you want to copy something. Your normal workflow doesn't change. I assume other programs work similarly.

Does it take over right click copy/paste?
Does it que up multiple copy/pastes so they are not executed at the same time?

It seems everyone has a different preference when it comes to this type of operation

I like Power Shell Scripting to do this since it allows me to recreate the path (if I want) or copy/move "types" of files in batches and verify the copy process didn't corrupt the destination file.

Terracopy is pretty sweet, in that it handles all copy/pastes natively. If you drag and drop files in explorer, Terracopy automatically handles the copy. It's not like you have to go start it manually before you want to copy something. Your normal workflow doesn't change. I assume other programs work similarly.

Robocopy does not do this, just for the sake of clarity and anyone reading.

I just downloaded and tried out teracopy and all i can say is omg teracopy where have you been all my life.
So far from my little usage what i noticed it does
1. can copy/paste natively or you can turn this off
2. queues file copy/pastes (when you copy/paste a file(s) and copy/paste something again it queues) or you can batch queue up in teracopy itself.
3. i left it to copy and paste a couple folders and it automatically skips whatever it cant copy/paste for whatever reason (like overwrite same file name etc) and shows you the failed file copy's after it finishes everything.
4. it can check copied files for errors by their CRC checksum

Yeah, you've just listed the major points of why I would consider looking into these. If other programs can't do that, then what were their authors thinking, this is exactly what native Windows copy-paste is missing, this is why a third party copy program would be most useful to average users.

I just downloaded and tried out teracopy and all i can say is omg teracopy where have you been all my life.
Same! Really liking it!

Yeah, you've just listed the major points of why I would consider looking into these. If other programs can't do that, then what were their authors thinking, this is exactly what native Windows copy-paste is missing, this is why a third party copy program would be most useful to average users.
Plus, Terracopy is free!

Great input from everyone. Surprised I've never seen these advantages drawn out before.
I'm happy more people than just me found this thread useful!

Back