• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does my motherboard support the FX 9590?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tedmann12

Registered
I have a pretty crap mother board (or so I have been told). It is a GA-78LMT-S2. I have a Hyper 212 Evo as I was originally going to overclock my FX 6300, but was told my motherboard wouldn't be good for it.

Would this motherboard support an FX 9590?

Thank you!

That board only shows support for 95W cpu's. It isn't built to handle the power demands of the higher end processors or any overclocking. I did see a new lower power 8 core cpu is going to be released from AMD very soon though, but I still wouldn't recommend it without upgrading your motherboard.

The fx 9590 is only supported by 4 boards. Asrock 990fx extreme 9, Asus 990fx sabertooth, asus 990fx rog, and gigabyte 990fx ud7. The ud5 I think also has support but the voltage regulators are known for getting hot.

Also unless you have high end cooling and plan to truly push the 9590 to 5ghz, don't bother. Use the money to buy yourself an fx 8320 and decent board.

I agree with all cautions mentioned above...

...Here is the latest llst I found and my own suggestions/caveats are shown as well.

AMD FX-9590 Compatible Motherboards

That list I suppose includes the motherboards that the motherboard maker has the
FX-9590 shown in the supported cpu list.

However we have users here that stay and help people all the time that have had the
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and it was very UNstable trying to run an 8 Core FX-8350
beyond 4.5Ghz. So that board would n0t be on my list.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 > this motherboard has caused problems for people with
8 Core FX cpu throttling in revisions of the board after Rev 1.2. Would n0t be on my
list for sure.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 > this motherboard has caused problems for people with
8 Core FX cpu throttling in revisions of the board after Rev 1.1. Would n0t be on my
list for sure.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 > There is a new Rev 3.0 of this mobo and most likely board
in the retail market now. The Rev 3.0 of the other versions of UDx were real pains for
the users with the Rev 3.0, so for that reason I would certainly have my suspicions
about the UD7.

MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 This board is said to be okay with the FX-9590 in use. We have
not seen any of this motherboard in the AMD Cpu or AMD motherboard forum sections
so no real idea if the board works well or not.

That really only leaves a short list for sure. If I were going to get an FX-9590 (am not
since I have FX-8350 that is P95 blend stable at 5.2Ghz), my choices would be narrowed
down to the > ASRock 990FX Extreme9 >> Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z >> Asus
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.

That is a short list indeed of motherboards that experience has
shown would do well in trying to overclock an FX-9590, but with a shedload of cooling.
CM 212 air cooling is not likely to work very well at all since by experience those of us
in here that do push to 5.0Ghz and beyond with all cores enabled...well we all have had
to go to very stout DIY watercooling setups.
RGone...

Ok thanks guys.

Does my board support an fx 8320?

I guess im wondering what my options are to upgrade from my fx 6300. If I can just get an 8320 using the board I have, I will likely do that in the future. But if I need a whole new motherboard I guess I might as well wait for the money to buy an intel chip. What do you guys think?

And if I did get need a new motherboard how much "better" would it be to get an intel chip vs an 8320 or 8350??

Thanks!

No FX cpu over 95watt.

FX supported Cpu for mobo. Right click > View Image for full size. I don't know what is up with new forum and not resizing the image and saying it IS RESIZED.

GA-78LMT-S2.jpg

RGone...

QUOTE=RGone;7731643]FX supported Cpu for mobo. Right click > View Image for full size. I don't know what is up with new forum and not resizing the image and saying it IS RESIZED.

View attachment 153308

RGone...[/QUOTE]I dont know what the difference is between this board and the GA-78LMT USB3 Rev 5.0. It does fine with a 8350 at STOCK speed and a gigabyte windforce HD7870OC stock speed, 2 Ballisitic 1600s and a hybrid SATA all components at stock speeds. I also use a Gold EVGA 500 watt with this combo. NO OVERCLOCKING unless you disable cores and then only 4.4 on 6 cores & 4.5 on 4 cores 4.6 on 2 cores. It also has limited on board fan connectors. It helps the VR temps (a lot) If you are using a cooler like the GeminII S524.
Pretty much if the 990fx mobo does not cost $180 or more it does not have the VR cooling and current capacity to power a AMD cpu past 4,4 Ghz 24/7 use. If the cooler does not cost $80 or more the cpu won't make 5.0 Ghz or wont make it very long without heat issues.

Note: AIO water coolers with alumiinum radiators/copper water block will fail after the warranty expires. <---Been there. Done that.
Chemical activity usually doubles with every 3C tenperature increases. Repeated thermal crashes will kill your mobo even if it is a Sabertooth. <---Also been there

Back