• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wine needs Gecko but where to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I am just now trying to configure Wine, and it says that it needs Gecko and it cautions me to get Gecko from my distro's own repo?

Seing as how I know nothing about the command line syntax yet, should I use the package manager or synaptic or apt-get... the latter I know little about?

Has all this been answered b4? Is there a link?

And is it difficult to install win games in wine?

Thanks in advance

apt-get update

then apt-get install gekco maybe?

I love apt-get, wish winders had it :p
But that's my best guess.

yup, even a noob like me knows you can't get there without sudo :)

I followed the advice from the wine projuct and installed gecko from the Mint depo in software manager.

So, Is it difficult to install games in wine?
I did a quick google search and all I found is some smart allek remark about "why don't you tell me which games you want and we'll tell you", or the usual "why not run windows games in windows?"

I wish all forums on the net had the decorum (politeness) that This place has...but then this place wouldn't be so unique.

So, Is it difficult to install games in wine?
I did a quick google search and all I found is some smart allek remark about "why don't you tell me which games you want and we'll tell you", or the usual "why not run windows games in windows?"

I wish all forums on the net had the decorum (politeness) that This place has...but then this place wouldn't be so unique.
Check WineHQ to see reports on how well games work. Most of games that can work will also include instructions on how to "fix" them.

Best thing I've found to help is running Wine from a command window, so you can see the output.

Downloaded but haven't tried it yet...Kinda waiting for the video card to arrive maybe tommorow i hope...I may just yank the card from my quad core setup just to check it out. Seing as it is the same card, there should be no difference, unless the new card is borked for some reason.

I think I can get by with Tuxracer extreme for tonite :shrug:

I am actually surprised it didnt pull in automatically. For the few things that I need gecko for, I usually get a popup saying "hey you need gecko, you want I should download this for you" (obvious paraphrase)

Back