• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212+ or H70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

I know that there are millions of threads and websites relating to this topic but I would just like to ask to get peoples opinions. Would I get any improved temps (from my Hyper 212+ in pull) if i were to do a push pull with the hyper 212+ or if i were to get a H70 in push pull? Right now my temps are not that bad i max at 70C with a 4.7GHz overclock at 1.430 vcore (when i do prime95 the vcore does drop to 1.400 if that matters at all) Just wondering thanks to anyone who replies (would love someone if they have experience with both the hyper 212+ in push/pull and the H70 in push/pull) thanks again :clap:

I think muddocktor covered most of that in his review of the H80
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-h80-review

(it has graphs with the other coolers in it to show performance)

Glad to hear that you got your chip up and running at your goal of 4.7 @ 1.43. The 70C max at 100% load is excellent by the way.

Adding a second fan certainly doesn't hurt though.

Here is his review of just the 212+ where he tests both the stock fan and dual-fans
http://www.overclockers.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-heat-sink-review/

I think muddocktor covered most of that in his review of the H80
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-h80-review

(it has graphs with the other coolers in it to show performance)

Glad to hear that you got your chip up and running at your goal of 4.7 @ 1.43. The 70C max at 100% load is excellent by the way.

Adding a second fan certainly doesn't hurt though.

Here is his review of just the 212+ where he tests both the stock fan and dual-fans
http://www.overclockers.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-heat-sink-review/

Oh thanks a lot :) and thanks for all the help/tips for the overclocking :clap:

The Antec Kuhler H20 620 would be worth a look too if the price is right. To my understanding the performance is pretty much the same as the H70.

You don't say where you live (North America or abroad), but for the money you spend for an H70, you can get an H80 if you are buying new. And the H80 is a better product with better cooling and longer warranty.

As for your overclock on your 2500k, do you need that much vcore? Mine is running at 4726 (bumped bclk a little bit maximizing the OC) with about 1.320v vcore under load, on a cheap Biostar P67 board. With that Asrock board, your vcore should be much more stable since it has LLC and it should be easy to try to tune your vcore downwards some and see how much (if any) you can back off on the vcore. That should help quite a bit on heat production if you can back the vcore down and make it eaiser to keep your 2500k cool.

You don't say where you live (North America or abroad), but for the money you spend for an H70, you can get an H80 if you are buying new. And the H80 is a better product with better cooling and longer warranty.

As for your overclock on your 2500k, do you need that much vcore? Mine is running at 4726 (bumped bclk a little bit maximizing the OC) with about 1.320v vcore under load, on a cheap Biostar P67 board. With that Asrock board, your vcore should be much more stable since it has LLC and it should be easy to try to tune your vcore downwards some and see how much (if any) you can back off on the vcore. That should help quite a bit on heat production if you can back the vcore down and make it eaiser to keep your 2500k cool.

Yea i saw the H80 is cheaper than the H70 on newegg (i live in north east USA) and at 1.400vcore i get my 4th core failing then my PC blue screened (with windows is shutting down to save the hardware) so i added more vcore and it seemed to fix the problem. Also im learning about LLC i think that mine is backwards (if you wana look up ASRock P67 extreme 4 LLC graph i think that mine at 1 is like others at 10 or 5 depending on how many levels of LLC there are) So im not sure whats up ill mess with it some more tonight.

I'd like to see where you go from here. I'm on the same boat, debating if I should get ir of 212+ and get one of em corsair H series.

The Hyper 212+ is a great cooler, i run at 4.7GHz with a 1.415vcore (i hear that is high but any lower and it fails) its stable for 3+ hours on prime95. well with 4.7GHz and 1.415 vcore i have 70C max temps under load and that is with default fan in pull, im sure two better fans in push/pull would lower the temps to 65 ish also im using the thermal past that came with the 212+ so idk if that is good past or not :p but im not sure what the H70/80 will do for lowering my temps or is that cooler will be louder. It being louder i wont care to much but idk if others will. I probably wont get one till Christmas

The Hyper 212+ was my last cooler. Yup, its great for the price though here in Australia I've always had stabillity issues when gaming during the day in summer. All heat related. Thing I've learnt is that lidquid cooling takes longer for the entire loop to heat up and the temps drop off faster between levels.

The Hyper 212+ will give you better temps most of the time than a Corsair Hydro H50 for example, difference is its a lot easier to max out temps on the Hyper 212+. I now only use closed loop liquid coolers in my gaming computers. They're pretty well maintenance free and if you get one of the better ones outperform the higher end air coolers. Look at the H100 if your case can fit it or the H80 if it won't.

The Hyper 212+ was my last cooler. Yup, its great for the price though here in Australia I've always had stabillity issues when gaming during the day in summer. All heat related. Thing I've learnt is that lidquid cooling takes longer for the entire loop to heat up and the temps drop off faster between levels.

The Hyper 212+ will give you better temps most of the time than a Corsair Hydro H50 for example, difference is its a lot easier to max out temps on the Hyper 212+. I now only use closed loop liquid coolers in my gaming computers. They're pretty well maintenance free and if you get one of the better ones outperform the higher end air coolers. Look at the H100 if your case can fit it or the H80 if it won't.

I dont know if i could fit the H100, im looking more at the H80, you think the H80 will outperform the Hyper 212+?

Yes, the H80 will be much better for stabillity than the 212+. It's much easier to overload those little heatpipes than it is the liquid in a closed loop liquid cooler.

The Hyper212+/Evo are BUDGET heatsinks.

The H80/H100 (performance wise) are HIGH END heatsinks.

Comparing the performance between them is pointless, the H series destroys every time. Destroys for almost quadruple the price of a 212+.

Evo vs. Plus are within the margin of error i.e., they're basically the same. The Evo has a flat base, so it's easier to apply TIM.

The Hyper212+/Evo are BUDGET heatsinks.

The H80/H100 (performance wise) are HIGH END heatsinks.

Comparing the performance between them is pointless, the H series destroys every time. Destroys for almost quadruple the price of a 212+.

Evo vs. Plus are within the margin of error i.e., they're basically the same. The Evo has a flat base, so it's easier to apply TIM.

Im just curious i am getting hte H80 for sure in the future :)

H80 is overkill for a 2500K, IMO. You're not going to clock significantly higher then you are now...you're already at 4.7, and anything about 4.5 is considered pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Only bother if you intend to overclock dude or your house is exceptionally hot or something like that.

H80 is overkill for a 2500K, IMO. You're not going to clock significantly higher then you are now...you're already at 4.7, and anything about 4.5 is considered pretty damn good.

at 4.7 i need a 1.415+ vcore and that hits 75C on prime95, idk what im going to do :p but most of the time i run at 4.2 because 4.7 is 40C idle i think i cant remember but i only use 4.7 when im playing mass tournys(like 60 people) on the game i play, the game eats all the CPU you throw at it :p 3.3Ghz and 4.7Ghz is almost double the FPS

Ok, I'd see if your current cooler will cut it and only upgrade if its actually necessary.

Back