• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future Folding Farm Hardware Info Thread (LGA2011)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking forward to your "folding" take on the platform tuigi :popcorn:

Actually the primary reason I bought the SB-E was to fold. (and give me a real reason to play with watercooling.) For gaming purposes, a 2600k is more than enough, specially when you consider that the 3930k cost as much as a decent 2600k gaming rig.

Wow @ 16 cores, that's sadly beyond my budget capabilities as I still like to eat!:D Unless one of my machines blows up I will not be upgrading to 2011, at least not yet.;)

@tuigi69 Where did you find the CPU? I checked both newegg and ncix and neither has them showing. :confused: I hope the numbers come out nice.:) I don't upgrade unless there's a %30 increase in productivity over what I currently have, price is important too a 990 @ some $1K is just too much!

Bought both from newegg at about 7am CST. My original plan was to hang out in Phoenix over the Veteran's Day weekend (I get four days off) and buy them from Fry's Electronics in Phoenix on Monday, but had to much to take care of at home. Anyway saved me the gas money and the tax.

My initial SB-E test at 4.8GHz on the 3930k. Wc setup in sig except with new CPU block (Apogee HD).

CA8ke.jpg

I assume that I did not get a bigadv unit? Using options:

-bigadv -oneunit -smp

with passkey

At 5.0 GHz, TPF would go down to about 2:02 and ppd would go up to about 47,850.

Reasonably impressive times in Windows. Linux is where the ppd is, +20% ppd.

My initial SB-E test at 4.8GHz on the 3930k. Wc setup in sig except with new CPU block (Apogee HD).

I assume that I did not get a bigadv unit?

Thanks for posting the goods CJ. :thup: Keep it coming. :popcorn:

Hopefully your next work unit will be a -bigadv

foldon.gif

At 5.0 GHz, TPF would go down to about 2:02 and ppd would go up to about 47,850.

Reasonably impressive times in Windows. Linux is where the ppd is, +20% ppd.

I will fire up my folding VM for the next unit I do. I seem to have found it! Also I lost this work unit over night. 6 hours of linpack was not enough for folding. :(

Intel X79 Quad Channel and Z68 Dual Channel Memory Performance Analysis

Have not had a chance to look at this yet, but if anyone is interested:

Source

Have not had a chance to look at this yet, but if anyone is interested:

Source

Shows minimal gains in benchmarks, except for raw numbers, where it's almost double. They only tested it with two non-raw benchmarks though. I know bigadv is very memory intensive though, I might have to test it myself!

CJ, VMware isn't going to cut in on a 12 thread system. All but the latest pay for version are limited to 8 threads.

Virtualbox is an alternative, just not as efficient as vmware, at least when i tested on v3.

Starting with version 3.0, VirtualBox supports symmetrical multiprocessing (SMP) and can present up to 32 virtual CPU cores to each virtual machine.

I have a workstation license for work, so I am covered there. :D

Edit: what version is more than 8 cores? Workstation 8 seems to be capped at 8 cores as well.

Edit: Also have some new windows numbers:

P7504 50500PPD~ TPF: 00:02:09 with light load (web browsing + streaming music).

3930k 4.95GHz, 2154MHz ram 9,11,10,28,2T

Last edited:
What temps are you running loaded @ 4.95GHz CJ ??

At 1.525v 63c on hottest core with 72f room temp. WC setup in sig except switched to apogee HD. 1366 bracket on my R4E, will be switching to the 2011 system when swiftech finally releases it.

DDR3 Memory Performance Analysis on Intel X79

dominator-gt.jpg

Another look at Memory Performance on Intel X79 Here

seems like the Folding Farm is still a good idea, SandyB-E seems to be a monster, at 4.5ghz puts 14 points in CineBench 11.5, while AnandTech just tested 32 cores(at 2ghz) AMD Interlagos and it did 15 points on CineBench.. :sly:

I can't seem to get a bigadv work unit, 5 normal smp unit's in a row. Is the selection that bad now? Really want to see how fast one is.

Back