• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good upgrade from a Audigy 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

I'm thinking it's about time for a sound card upgrade as I have had my Audigy 2 since they came out.

I want something that sounds really good for games, music & movies & does at least 5.1, higher doesn't really matter just want something that sounds good, works good & works with XP & Vista.

Also how about a good 5.1 speaker setup?

I'm not going to give a price but I don't want anything way out there, I just want recommended.

Thanks...

I'm thinking it's about time for a sound card upgrade as I have had my Audigy 2 since they came out.

I want something that sounds really good for games, music & movies & does at least 5.1, higher doesn't really matter just want something that sounds good, works good & works with XP & Vista.

Also how about a good 5.1 speaker setup?

I'm not going to give a price but I don't want anything way out there, I just want recommended.

Thanks...
I'm hardly an audio expert, but some baseline choices would be an x-fi xtremegamer card and the logitech z-5300e's. You can get the 5300e's for like $50 after rebates at Clubit and I'm pretty sure there is a $30 rebate on the xtremegamer too.

I'm hardly an audio expert, but some baseline choices would be an x-fi xtremegamer card and the logitech z-5300e's. You can get the 5300e's for like $50 after rebates at Clubit and I'm pretty sure there is a $30 rebate on the xtremegamer too.

yeah I've been looking at those logitech ones...not all that keen on the wired remote but I could live with it. Also kinda bummed it doesn't have a digital connection.

As for the SB Cards I've heard some of the cards have hollow like sound from them? I'd like to avoid that, I'd like something that will produce a nice quality sound in games, movies & music.

Any other suggestions?

IMO you're much better off spending your money on a good set of speakers than a new sound card. The audio section here:

http://www.driverheaven.net/audio-g...136428-youpax-driver-information-threads.html

shows that you can use Audigy 4 drivers on cards as old as the SB Live, so that means that the hardware itself isn't all that much different for the new cards, and your Audigy 2 has 5.1 support anyways.

So for a good set of speakers, definitely go with Logitech, especially their Z series.

The Auzen X-fi Prelude is supposed to be great but expensive. I think it's $220 plus tax\shipping. I myself found a used X-trememusic in the classifieds and am half way done modding it with a guide I came across. I think it sounds great and the hardware sound acceleration definitely works. Should be able to get that done for maybe $100 give or take a bit depending on whether you're brave enough to solder the opamp on yourself. I'm not brave so I paid a guy $32 to do it. Still WAY cheaper than the auzentech prelude though and probably sounds as good or close to it.

id keep your audigy 2 until something else comes out. Save the money and wait. I hated my xfi card with a passion, lots of bugs, the sound was not nearly as good in games, even though it is supposed to be.

My X-FI ExtremeGamer has worked pretty good so far. I can get pretty good sound out of it when I tweak the options in the Creative Audio Console. No bugs that I can indentify so far with it using the latest drivers. If you search around, I'm sure you can find one for a good price.

Back