• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Way to Wire Up 6 120mm fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrLarkins

Well, it looks like I'll be using a 480 and a 240 rad in my next setup (still researching before I buy). What is the best way to wire up the 6 fans...I have 2 Yate Loons already and they have the 3 pin connector to the motherboard. However, my motherboard doesn't have 6 connetions.

What about a fan controller? But I really don't plan on changing the speed of the fans, I just want to be able to monitor them for changes. I like being able to see the fan 'fail' coming at me by a slowing of the RPM.

Or would it be best just to hook up all six on one molex connection to the powersupply?

easiest way would be too plug them in the the psu direct, as if you draw to much from the mobo fan header, it could damage it.

i have a fan controler for ease, but if you get a few molex to 3pin fan adapters, some of them come with a seperate wire for rmp monitoring, so you can still monitor the fan speeds.

some of the fancyer fan controlers come with rmp monitoring , such as NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller (only has 5 fan ports)

there is one available in the classifieds if you have access. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6532865#post6532865

there is 2 ways to go about it, well more, but that's beside the point.

if you can solder, then cut all the leads off and solder them all together to 1 lead.

otherwise check out this if you have all 3 pin connections. Koolance 3 pin splitter(4 to 1)

as said above, don't plug to many into the motherboard as it will get overloaded.

Hey spawn, that 4-1 doesn't look like the motherboard would be able to monitor all fan speeds, could it?

I may just solder them to 1 molex

no, it won't monitor speeds of all the fans. but i wouldn't connect them all together on one of the headers anyhow.

what you can do is power them via molex then take 1 of the groups fan senor wire and hook it to the motherboard to watch the rpm's.

thats a good idea.

when recommend connect them all to the motherboard, you mean all to one header, right? my motherboard (ASUS M4A79T Deluxe) has 4 headers...I could put 4 on those and 2 on molex.

Yea, like this: The picture actually shows the yellow wires cut. Problem is your only monitoring one fan. I have one knob for each radiator grouping. To monitor every fan you'll need a controller that has 6 channels..

3FanWiring.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

nice conundrum...and they're sleeved. its a good thought, I may do that, putting the pump sensor on the cpu header, and then the 480 fans on one header and the other 240 fans on another header...I don't think low RPM fans will pull too much from the headers.

The fan connectors on the M4A79T support cooling fans of 350 mA~2000 mA (24 W max.) or a total of 1 A~7 A (84 W max.) at +12V.

I've already got 2 Yate Loon D12SL-12 fans
Rated Voltage: 12 Volts
Operation Voltage: 6.5~13.8 Volts
Input current: 0.30 Amp Max
Operation temperature: -10 to +65 C
Storage temperature: -40 to +70 C
RPM: 1350 +/- 10%
CFM: 47
dB: 28

LOL, I took the wrong pic. That job was a hack. Anyhoo, it showed the concept. You always need to remove the pins from the final connector, thats a pain to itself. I broke a pin or 3 in the past getting them out or bending them for reinserting. You can buy replacement pins/connectors and a good crimp tool. I Know.....

Ohh, a primer for such;
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202639
aBOUT HALF WAY DOWN ON THE SCROLL FOR THE MINI FAN CONNECTORS.

there is 2 ways to go about it, well more, but that's beside the point.

if you can solder, then cut all the leads off and solder them all together to 1 lead.

otherwise check out this if you have all 3 pin connections. Koolance 3 pin splitter(4 to 1)

as said above, don't plug to many into the motherboard as it will get overloaded.

you can use that harness and plug it into a fan controller ( so long as that controller can handle the wattage of 4 fans ) correct?

Each of these fans are rated at 12v @ 0.30 amps which means approx 4w each fan.

4 X 6 = 24w total and you say you also have a pump RPM plug, I will assume you have a MCP355 (18w)

I have a idea for you, a high wattage four channel fan control with LCD readout. 2 fans on each channel and the pump MCP 355 (these things are 18w or higher!) on the last channel giving a RPM readout. the Fan controller will also have a ALARM function if something fails. It's the set up I'm using with this 30w per channel controller on my project. I also included a pic for you of my shoddy 6 cables into 3 job.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...s_w_Multi_Color_Backlit_LED_-_Black_FC-5.html

I think Frozencpu got a coupon for 2% off if I'm not mistaken

Attachments

• IMG_9795.jpg
    IMG_9795.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 875
Anyone have experience with Themaltake A2349 Hardcano?
$40
4 sets of temperature display
4 sets of fan speed display
4 sets of fan failure display
Alarm item flash
Fashion blue back lighted

Attachments

• 0301_A2349_2LG.jpg
    0301_A2349_2LG.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 812
  • 0301_A2349_3LG.jpg
    0301_A2349_3LG.jpg