• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Trusted SSL Certificates from StartSSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
I am not sure if anyone else is really interested but StartSSL (https://www.startssl.com) provides an unlimited number of standard free class 1 SSL certificates. These are not valid to be used with businesses; personal use only. I recently started using their SSL certs instead of my self signed certificates and I haven't had any problems.

I found their system pretty simple to use so I figured I would give them a shout out here since it looks like nobody has ever mentioned them here. If you do use them, just make sure that you do not lose your private key used to generate your CSR as they do charge to revoke a certificate (which you would need to do if you lose the private key and need to re-issue a cert).

Also, if you have any questions about SSL certs and how to apply them, I would be happy to assist. I deal with SSL certificates on a daily basis at work so I've dealt with quite a few issues that people may run into.

So, if I wanted to play with a LDAP server, this would be a good option as I'd be using "real" certificates?

Yup, that's the idea. It still requires some form of verification (they will send a code to your email address on file with your registrar) that you own the domain name in question so you would have to create the certs based on an actual domain that you own.

Interesting. I'll have to save this for later then. Thanks for the tip.

Used them for a while, before I figured out how to create/sign my own certificates for my servers. I keep an EV account open with them in case I ever actually release the projects I'm working on :)

Yeah, I have my own internal CA for my own usage which is nice. I just have a fair amount of stuff that is public facing so this certainly helps.

I use them for all of my personal stuff. Only catches are that you have to renew them yearly, which can be a pain if you have a bunch of certs, and no wildcard certs. All browsers I've tried recognize them fine, though you need to include the intermediate CA certs in the cert path.

I used to run my own CA... it's easy, free, you can sign wildcard certs, and makes sense. Only problem is random internet users won't automatically trust them, so you have to go through and manually add the CA cert yourself to every computer you use.

i forget what SSL certs i used back when i had my old proxy site when i was in middle school, but i know it was free, i was hosting it at my house, so idk. come to think of it i dont remember alot of that stuff i did, i remember doing alot of work with perl and apache not much on the php end of things but i think a few of the scripts were php cause i remember having to install it on the server, i guess if you dont use it you lose it :D looks interesting though

Back