• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Protecting my case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrianCapps

I just spent a lot of time painting my case. What is the best way to protect it, short of encasing it in bubblewrap? Is there something I can spray on top of the laquer?

I think if you use a layer of clear it will keep it nice and crisp. otherwise take the case off and keep it in your attic

from what I've found when doing model cars and such that more thin coats work better..and if you want you can even sand in between coats with a real fine fine grit sandpaper (800-1000 or so). Don't put it on real heavy otherwise it might tend to run and drip and if it's humid on the day you coat it you could be waiting days before it actually dries..

Yea thats the best thing Ive painted many a car and the biggest thing to remember is do thin coats many times for better protection. And it will look even better if you wet sand it in-between coats... Now you dont have to do that between every coat but maybe put on 3 or 4 thin coats let it set real good then wet sand it down real lightly, then spray it some more then sand it... yada yada yada... if you want a real glossy finish... Do that 2 or 3 times and then get some buffing material and sand it down once your done with the final coat of clear and buff out the scratches from the last sanding... mirror gloss finish... tooot schweeetttt :D

I usually never sand a clear coat, as the scratches from the sand paper sometimes show up twice as bad, after you've put on the next layer of clear. Kinda like when you tint windows (hey..that gives me an idea....), any imperfection will show up 2X as bad underneathy it, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's always a good idea to wax your case every few months, to add additional protection.

Wiseass said:
and if it's humid on the day you coat it you could be waiting days before it actually dries..
Not if you add activator to the clearcoat and spray it from a real paint gun.

Spray Bombs really won't do your cases justice.

I highly recommend the use of Binks Model 62 syphon feed paint guns with 42PSI at the regulator. Or just about any Binks gravity feed paint gun, with around 50PSI at the regulator.

I would agree there full bore dimm... the only problem is now your talking about spending some serious cash for the set up on that alone... granted once youve got it and you keep it in good condition itll last a lifetime.. but its the inital cash to get it all... Id love to be able to afford the stuff I use to paint cars just to use on my cases... I could have some serious stuff going on there... Now as far as the scratches showing through the clear coats... all that means is that the grit of the paper you use is too rough... get finer grit sand paper and it wont... Trust me Ive painted many a car and sanded the clear just so I could get a smoother glossier finish to the final coat of clear....

Originally posted by ifmu I would agree there full bore dimm... the only problem is now your talking about spending some serious cash for the set up on that alone... granted once youve got it and you keep it in good condition itll last a lifetime.. but its the inital cash to get it all... Id love to be able to afford the stuff I use to paint cars just to use on my cases...
I've got quite a few paint guns I've purchased over the years, as well as an Intersol-Rand V-twin compressor (she keeps up with the DA sander). So I'm already in good shape :) That doesn't mean that if these guys ask someone real nicely that has a compressor/dryer/paint gun/resperator mask to use the stuff for the day they won't be able to(I usually am willing to let my buddies use my stuff and my old Binks 19 gun). We all need help sometimes.

Now if anybody wants a durable finish, I recommend Dupont Imron (with extra reducer, and a little extra hardener).

All I know is its been awhile since Ive even touched a real paint gun... not including all the guns I drool over when Im out shopping for other stuff... :p But Id love to get my hands on a set up for myself one of these days, but Im a poor bastag... :( either way I still say thats the best way to go if you want the BEST look...

The best way is to take it to an auto shop and get it painted professionaly then you will only have to wax it now and again!

ClockingOzzie said:
The best way is to take it to an auto shop and get it painted professionaly then you will only have to wax it now and again!

BAH then wheres the fun of being able to say that YOU did this? Thats half the fun of doing mods... at least for me...

Problem with using bubble wrap is we all know how tempting that stuff is to pop. You'll eventually pop all the bubbles and what good will that do for your case?

Back