• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Satisfaction with Western Digital Raptor drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Are you satisfied with your Raptor?

• Happily moved from 7200 or better to raptor 36GB

Votes: 97 29.9%
  • Happily moved from 7200 or better to raptor 74GB

Votes: 143 44.1%
  • Dissatisfied moved from 7200 or better to raptor 36GB

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Dissatisfied moved from 7200 or better to raptor 74GB

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Happily moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 36GB

• Happily moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 74GB

• Dissatisfied moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 36GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dissatisfied moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 74GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral opinion, or no better than previous drive

Votes: 47 14.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
raptors really got outstanding performance!
although it's expensive,but i think that ppl shouldn't compare its GB/Price ratio with other 7200rpm ata drives, coz none of any other ATA/Sata drive has such performance!
in some aspects,raptors could have even better performance than 15krpm scsi drive!

I've had my 36Gig Raptor for a while now. Truely its a great drive and does a nice job for my OS/Apps drive. But currently with the 16mb cache drives coming out those are starting to look better for a price ratio terms since they preform nearly the same if not above what the raptor does.

deathman20 - You read my mind! Another forum mentioned that 2x 250GB Maxtor SATA HD's w/ 16MB cache in RAID-0 were actualy FASTER than dual 36Gig raptors in RAID-0 on the same controller! I don't doubt it for a second, and with like 7 TIMES more space!

My next drive WILL be a 16MB cache SATA - but I won't get rid of my 36Gig Raptor (resale is WAY too low for me to consider selling it). It is also just convenient to have a smaller dedicated OS drive for Ghosting, and de-fragging, etc...

:cool:

raptors are great drives i load into windows in about 1 1/2 bars with 20 gigs of space full of junk ie: games and other large programs. My seek times went from 21.4 on my 7200 wd to 7.6 on my raptor absolutly love it. :beer:

Randyman... said:
deathman20 - You read my mind! Another forum mentioned that 2x 250GB Maxtor SATA HD's w/ 16MB cache in RAID-0 were actualy FASTER than dual 36Gig raptors in RAID-0 on the same controller!

Could you post a link? I'd be interested in what kind of tests they ran to come up with that. Remember a bigger buffer really only helps with optimizing read-ahead and write-back operations; it does not improve random seek times or transfer rates. RPM is the deciding factor there.

Raptor Drives

I ordered two 74 gig raptor drives and raided them on my neo4 platinum board and wow what an impressive display. I haven't counted down from the time i press the power button, but when the windows logo shows up, you see one bar, then halfway through the second you see a blink of the loading screen then you windows desktop, all ready to use with no hesitation. I am going to do some benchmarks soon and display the results.

noticable difference between my ata-133 vs the raptor...... Once you've used one you'll miss them if you switch to anything slower.

Could someone please post some PCMark04 scores for the Raptor 74GB and 36 GB in either single or RAID0?

I need someway to see how much faster these drives really are.

So far I have seen 2x36gb @6300 with RAID0

Please reply,
Magik

Overall, I'm satisfied, they are quite fast. However, I had to go through two before I got one that worked. The first one ZipZoomFly sent me was DOA.

I'm pretty satisfied. During Windows install, the entire graphical portion of setup took < 8 minutes. And I can install UT2004 in about half the time I used to (even on a 160gb sata before)

i must say that im was a little disapointed in this drive. its fast, no question, but i laid out the $$$ to be blown away by this drive. windows xp takes 4 bars to load up, which seems pretty slow, and game maps arent that fast. however i when i got this drive i also got a new vid card and started playing new shader games, so mabey im just expecting too much?

magikempire said:
Could someone please post some PCMark04 scores for the Raptor 74GB and 36 GB in either single or RAID0?

I need someway to see how much faster these drives really are.

So far I have seen 2x36gb @6300 with RAID0

Please reply,
Magik

with my 74gb raptor I score 5600 in the hd test in pcmark2004.... and with 2x200gb maxtor diamondmax 10 8mb cache raid-0 i score 6000.... "regular" drives score between 2000 and 3000.... anyone benched and 74gb raptor in raid? would looove to see the score of that.. :p

I've been so happy with the Raptors that I bought another, a 36 for just the OS and programs, and I'm now using my 74 for games :)

Check my signature.. enough said.

well right now I'm on my backup PC that only has a regualr 80gb 7200rpm drive and MAN gaming feels so slow. It's not that my secondary system is THAT much different then my main. Slightly less overclocked.. running at 225 FSB using TCCD at 2-2-2-8 instead of 250 FSB on my main using BH5 2-2-2-8. 2.5GHZ versus 2.1 something. Moved my x800 from my main to my secondary and took out the 9800pro AIW for now.

Even still.. man online gaming is a HUGE difference when I am playing MMORPGs and move into a heavily populated area. My main system never experienced any sort of lag for example in WoW with hundreds of people around. Without my raptors I notice a much bigger difference in lag.

So yah. raptors kick @$$

From a non-benchmarking or test of any kind opinion (which might mean its completely useless), the 10k raptors really haul butt. :D I upgraded from a maxtor sata 7200 to 2 36gb 10k raptors in raid 0 so I could have another box that could play doom3. Before the box played doom3 with lots of lag now I can have a friend in and play 2-man doom3 online with o lag. Having some1 watch your back in that game during non-clan gaming gives an incredible advantage and is alot of fun :D.

I never saw the hard drive space as much of an issue with Raptors. Most of the things that take up a lot of space (random apps, movies, music, etc) I don't need to load quickly, so I can just throw them on a large IDE drive (which are fairly cheap).

I've been very happy with my two 36gb raptors in RAID 0. When I do upgrade I won't necessarily go with 74gb raptors though, I will go with whatever is the current king of speed, which one poster mentioned may be the 16mb cache maxtors

I have my two 36gb raptors in raid 0 and the performance is top notch. So much so, that I am looking into two more so I can have a four drive raid :).

Happily moved from two 7200rpm Maxtor in RAID 0 to single Raptor 36GB.

The single Raptor actually gave me slightly better HD Tach scores. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back