• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800xt problems..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crash16

got some problems here
first the specs

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
768MB RAM
WD Raptor 74 GB
RADEON 9800 XT
SB Audigy
40gig wd hd
antex 420 truepower
winxp pro fully updated

this is a fresh installed os..

problem i am having is when playing games...any game it will lockup or crash to the desktop and then some icons will be discolored/mulitcolored...there is no specific amount of time playing any game it will do it...just random.

ive tried reinstalling the video drivers and no go there, the card isnt overheating running bout 63C when playing games...

so yeah any ideas on what to check...

Make sure the fan is still working o the card and the heatsink is on correctly. Mine Quit on me and I has the same problems your having now. Heat is the usual cause.

crash16 said:
got some problems here
first the specs

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
768MB RAM
WD Raptor 74 GB
RADEON 9800 XT
SB Audigy
40gig wd hd
antex 420 truepower
winxp pro fully updated

this is a fresh installed os..

problem i am having is when playing games...any game it will lockup or crash to the desktop and then some icons will be discolored/mulitcolored...there is no specific amount of time playing any game it will do it...just random.

ive tried reinstalling the video drivers and no go there, the card isnt overheating running bout 63C when playing games...

so yeah any ideas on what to check...

now it lockes up with nice steady beeps...so im thinking it may not be the vid card...so i swapped the ram out of it for diff sticks see if i still have the problem

that definately sounds like a heat issue... I'd try re-seating the HSF and check to see if the fan has died or not like the other poster said

the problem was not the vid card but ended up the motherboard didnt like the Crucial SS memory stick i had in there changed it out with a Samsung DS memory stick and works fine...heh

Back