• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Split where STEAM stores game data files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

Hey everyone... I'm using a new SSD for my OS/games/apps/etc., but I want only some of my STEAM games to be on the SSD, with the rest being stored on a normal hard drive due to size and only being played occasionally. Is there a way to make STEAM store the games I want on my Solid State Drive C:, and the rest of the large game data files on another drive (E: in this case) to access as needed? Thanks!

You could install a second OS to your SSD, and then install steam, and then download the games you want with that client...

It's an idea if nothing else comes up..

not that i know of.... since steam install folder is where it reads the games from, unless there is some registry hacks, but i doubt it, i am sure steam is hardcoded to look into the user directory with in the steam install directory.

umm when you install steam can't you choose the drive you want it to be installed on?

Yes. You can also literally CUT and PASTE the entire SteamApps folder to another partition. Just delete the clientregistry.blob file before you do, uninstall Steam and then reinstall it to the other drive. Paste your SteamApps into there and load it up.

Just a note though, if you're expecting anything drastic in terms of load times...expect to be disappointed.

I know I can *move* the entire thing, but I want to keep a couple of games on the SSD still (which is MUCH faster for loads especially preventing any hitching while playing). Hence why I'm asking if there's a way to split it up in a STEAM install. The SSD is already being used, it is not an argument whether it is or isn't faster :).

Figured it out... I had an install of STEAM from the unformatted normal hard drive (that had my previous Vista install on it) that I originally copied the local files from after installing STEAM onto my SSD with the new Vista install. The old copy of STEAM runs fine with the content it had there off of the normal HDD, and the new STEAM runs fine with the content it has on the SSD... :D. Now I can have lightning-fast loads on the couple of games I care to (as well as no stutter from HDD access in COD4!) and normal storage for the rest.

Figured it out... I had an install of STEAM from the unformatted normal hard drive (that had my previous Vista install on it) that I originally copied the local files from after installing STEAM onto my SSD with the new Vista install. The old copy of STEAM runs fine with the content it had there off of the normal HDD, and the new STEAM runs fine with the content it has on the SSD... :D. Now I can have lightning-fast loads on the couple of games I care to (as well as no stutter from HDD access in COD4!) and normal storage for the rest.

You might run into a problem or two later on with where things download to, depending on what the two copies of Steam are writing to the registry independently. But if it keeps working, w00t.

You could also use the Backup feature to just keep those rarely played games in storage on a second drive and load'em back up when you're in the mood.

Back