• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS K53SV GPU problem after OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainowy

Firstly I would like to say hello to everybody in this forum. Its my first post here and I have a serious problem. Few days ago I bought Asus k53sv with i5 intel, gt 540m nvidia card so maybe you can help me. After reading few topics I tried to oc my gt 540m, downloaded nvidia system tools and started to oc. Standard clock of this laptop is 670 core, 900 memory. First i set 750 core 950 memory, benchmark it using 3dmark 06. Result was something above 9000 points. Temperature related to GPU-Z was ok, less than 70 Celsius. With this settings I was playing starcraft 2 for few hours on ultra settings without a problem, temperature was ok. After that I wanted more so I set core to 800 / memory 1000 Benchmark 3dmark06, no artifacts, everything smooth. Result 10027 so I started to play witcher 2 on low settings. After 15 minutes or so suddenly BSOD happened. I restarted and since that windows can't recognize my nvidia card. I tried to install latest nvidia driver, but it stops, cannot find proper hardware. In device manager gt 540 is listed as standard VGA adapter but doesn't work - device can't start. So only Intel graphic card works already and I can't start any latest game. I hope gt 540 isn't broken, don't know how to check it. I only know windows can't start it. Do you have solution to my problem or any advice, please help, this laptop is only one week old. Sorry for English it's not my native language. Thanks in advance.

I might not know my laptop models but i recognize destroyed. Your GPU joined May 21st rapture brother. If windows does not recognize it and a driver refresh didnt help then it is unpowered. All life signs stopped.

Thanks for reply. That is what I was just thinking. It's not possible to repair it from software level so I need to give it back to the service and pray they will not recognize what I've done. Hope they can repair it or maybe they will change it for a new model. This laptop is only 8 days long :(

Other then blowing it up how is it? I am buy ing a laptop and that model is on my short list of 3. Msi Dell and yours. Is the keyboard flimsy? Does it feel like it might fold when you pick it up?

Sorry for late reply. I gave my fried laptop back to ASUS here in Poland where i live. After a few days they said its laptop failure and gave me a new model so I am very happy with it. Keyboard is ok but I think it should be attached more firmly. It has nice aluminium interior, its very solid and cool. In general I am very happy with this laptop.

Good to know.I boughtthe laptop 2 days ago and so far i love it. Right now trying to get Linux to run on it but no joy so far. I think i will have to trry a different distro. Ubuntu 11.04 does not like the hardware i guess. I actually like this keyboard. I wish it was back lit but i will live without it.

oi guys, so glad that i've found this thread )) i mean i also bought k53sv recently and have a little question, hope you will answer

first just wanted to comment on Rainowy problem, not comment but ask. What was mainly the reason to overlock nvidia 540m? Coz its very powerful and no need to do this to play Witcher 2 or Starcraft 2. Actually i have both this games installed on my K53SV now and they running with great fps on all max settings without any problem. Ok maybe Witcher 2 not on super max settings) but on very high.So i guess you did it just for interest and fun?

Anyway i will ask my questions. Its not about overlocking but i donnow where to ask so hope you will not ignore:
1) Noise of cooler fan after playing game for quite a long time. I'm using laptop for near a month now. What I've noticed its when playing games for several hours, 3-5, heat from left side of laptop is high and fan noise is much more higher too. And now after one month it seems to me my nvidia fan started to make more noise all the time, not only while playing games. Is it ok? Do you have anything like that? The thing is, i understand that this laptop is not actually "gaming laptop" like some crazy notebooks for 2-5 k $ but still i like to play games and will use it for them constantly. Maybe i need to add or change fan to be sure that everything will be ok?

2) Sometimes there is starange spesific noise inside like some sort of clicking or very low clatter under keyboard or near cpu. Do you have anything like that?

sorry for my english its not my native( thanks in advance

What was mainly the reason to overlock nvidia 540m? Coz its very powerful and no need to do this to play Witcher 2 or Starcraft 2.

The GT540m is a very dated chip compared to desktop performance. Laptops are always a generation or two behind if you compare the numbering system with desktop counter-parts. 540m may do fine on low settings, but the ideal gaming performance is anywhere from 40-60 minimal fps on your native resolution at max graphic quality.

Gaming between these ideal and what the 540m is capable of are worlds apart.

These cards get up towards the 70C mark. Meaning that the exhaust is going to be somewhat similar. Welcome to laptop gaming. :p

You could lower such, which would help the longitivity of your laptop, with a laptop cooling rack. Decent ones can range anywhere from 20-40 bucks, depending on the size.

It is usually your HDD. They are mechanical after all. I get it all the time and is common on performance and budget drives.

I might not know my laptop models but i recognize destroyed. Your GPU joined May 21st rapture brother. If windows does not recognize it and a driver refresh didnt help then it is unpowered. All life signs stopped.

i know you've got your problem sorted now...only overclocking without raising voltages if the temps are ok should not kill a gpu.

i've OC'd many desktop gpus without raising their vcore and they've booted right back up...

These cards get up towards the 70C mark. Meaning that the exhaust is going to be somewhat similar. Welcome to laptop gaming. :p

You could lower such, which would help the longitivity of your laptop, with a laptop cooling rack. Decent ones can range anywhere from 20-40 bucks, depending on the size.

A cooling rack! Wish I knew that earlier.

Back