• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 Core Sandy Bridge Xeon Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So does fah see that 8 core as a 16. So it will be seen as a 32 total?(on a 2P) Or is is it seen as a 8?
Meaning if they only give bigadv to 24core or above(Or some other arbitrary core count), it wouldn't get them?

Bigadv core detection at it's current state detects cores that windows/linux see's. So a 8 core intel with HT will appear as 16 cores to FAH. 16 cores with HT would be 32 cores to FAH.

This is mostly a collection of rumors i've come across, so take everything in this post with a grain of salt.

I have not yet read any sucuessful significant overclocks on these chips. I really hope everything everyone is saying is wrong because I have been saving up for an SR-X for allmost a year now.

Unlike earlier Xeons and SNB/SNB-E, we're sad to report that multiplier adjustment is disabled (BIOS values set to read only) and base clock straps are non-existent (frequency only goes up to ~108MHz) across the current stepping. We sure hope Chipzilla changes their mind (since traditionally it has never been obstructed, albeit not officially supported) or maniac SR-X overclockers/high frequency traders are going to be turned away.
Source: http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-xeon-e5-2690-and-e5-2660-8-core-sandy-bridge-ep-review/15122.html

If you read the last 3 pages of the SR-X thread on the EVGA forums you get the same story...

Halfdead14 said:
Unfortunately the current CPUs have a locked multiplier so overclocking is limited to say the least.

EVGA_MatthewH said:
Does the board support OC'ing: Yes
Does the board support OC'ing on current CPU's? The answer unfortunately is no.
Current CPU's are multiplier locked, and they don't scale very high on bclock.
source: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1323787&mpage=11

However, there is a glimmer of hope out there...
Extended lead time.png
Source: http://www.originpc.com/genesis-pro-x2-desktop-features.asp

Filiprino said:
Maybe the Xeon E5-2687W is the unlocked Xeon. W is for Workstation and it also has a bigger TDP of 150W instead of the 135W of the 2690. Also if you go to the supported CPU list of the SR-X the 2687W is not there, I wonder why.
Code:
[INDENT][INDENT]CPU Compatibility List    
C606 Series Motherboards (Dual-QPI LGA 2011)        
Sandy Bridge EP            
Xeon E5 2690 - 2.90 GHz            
Xeon E5 2680 - 2.70 GHz           
Xeon E5 2670 - 2.60 GHz            
Xeon E5 2660 - 2.20 GHz            
Xeon E5 2650 - 2.00 GHz            
Xeon E5 2640 - 2.50 GHz            
Xeon E5 2630 - 2.30 GHz
[/INDENT][/INDENT]
Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/161864/EVGA-Announces-the-Classified-SR-X-Motherboard.html

It appears that there may possibly be an overclockable chip in the future either that or it's possible that the reports of the Bclock being limited to 108mhz could be false. Either way, i'll be sitting on the sidelines watching and waiting to pounce... :popcorn:

Sr-x going to waste sounds rather odd...Why make such a board if it would be absurdly cheaper to make a non-overclockable one with less features, if there are no unlocked or bclk friendly chips?
Eager to know more, humph...

Sr-x going to waste sounds rather odd...Why make such a board if it would be absurdly cheaper to make a non-overclockable one with less features, if there are no unlocked or bclk friendly chips?
Eager to know more, humph...
I second that. I seriously doubt a company like evga would invest a lot of R&D expense on an overclocking board that will never have overclockable cpus available for it. I'm sure they're privy to some inside info from intel.

Spend $200+ extra for a mobo that will overclock, but only uses chips that will NEVER overclock? That's just *wrong*! :eek:

If they make the only cpu that will overclock, cost $3,000 each, they will have nothing but a race with a dead horse. That puts a system at about $7,200 minimum, and that is far beyond the amount an enthusiast can justify - especially in the current economic downturn.

Here's hoping for some better news out of Intel.

Dual-socket Sandy Bridge-EP workstation board hits Newegg

asus-dualxeon.jpg

EVGA isn't the only one with an enthusiast-friendly, dual-socket workstation board designed for Intel's new Sandy Bridge-EP Xeons. Asus has officially lifted the lid on the Z9PE-D8 WS, which offers two LGA2011 sockets, eight DIMM slots, and seven PCI Express x16 slots. Unlike the EVGA board, the Asus model is already selling at Newegg, albeit for a pricey $599. You didn't expect a dually Xeon board to be cheap, did you?

Read more: Here

The board layout is OK, as long as you never want to put in a big graphics card. The 2nd cpu is right in the way of a long graphics card.

Does this board need 1.65 V RAM, and is non-ECC memory OK? It lists only ECC memory in the Details at Newegg, AND the Supermicro boards for LGA 2011 that I have seen on the Supermicro site, need 1.5 V max.

You don't want to have to buy ECC RAM -- it's expensive.

I like that cpu! 12 cores, no waiting! :clap:

Beyond it's Turbo settings, I don't believe they can be overclocked, however.

Spend some extra money and get a board that will not only overclock, it is designed for it. Evga has the SR-X and Asus has a new workstation board. The gain from overclocking will easily offset the extra board cost.

I'm thinking about picking up two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117269

Likely this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182350

And most likely two packages of this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145261

Any thoughts on if that would be a good 2p starter system?

Spend some extra money and get a board that will not only overclock, it is designed for it. Evga has the SR-X and Asus has a new workstation board. The gain from overclocking will easily offset the extra board cost.

Yea I hadn't thought about the ASUS/EVGA boards. Will definitely look into it.

I don't build dedicated folding layers, but keep folding in mind when I build new work stations or PCs.

I'm glad EVGA did an updated dual socket LGA 2011 version. That EVGA Classified SR-X looks like it's what I'd like to get for my next and probably last workstation build, but only if there are unlocked 8/16 processors available.

If Intel screws up my dream machine, I'll flip 'em off and build an AMD 4P instead.

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I have a xeon E5-2603. The worst one! Will this work in any x79 board? Or can anyone reccomend a board?

I can't say for sure if I would. You might have better luck getting an answer by starting a new thread in the Intel cpu section.

My E5 2650 is at stock clocks, and is making abt 30k/ppd; certainly less than I had hoped for. This rig was cheaper than a 2P Magny Cours build, but as they say- "you get what you pay for."

That's some nice power draw... but sheeze at the price of those 2665s. $1500 a pop!?!?

Back