• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Gen PS4 and XBox info?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azanimefan

here is an article i just stumbled across that seems to list the tech specs of both the next gen console offerings.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...-are-the-ps4-and-xbox-720-going-to-be-1127315

seems both will sport 8 core AMD "jaguar" processors running at 1.6ghz, and AMD Radeon GPU 7XXX tech. Apparently they'll be roughly equivalent to a 7850 in performance

Of course, that's assuming the info is good. Could be just another rumor.

The main quote I picked out was:

"Again, lower operating system overheads and superior software optimisation usually allow consoles to close the gap. But there's little doubting the next brace of games consoles fall well short of the best performing current PCs, much less hardware that will be available in six month's time"

that means one of 2 things, either PC gaming will take advantage with the kinds of steam box/project shield. OR we are going to have many years of badly optimised ports that look just as bad as the console version but require hardware 10 times better just to maintain a steady fps.

Personally, bring on steamboxes :) as unless they offer something spectacular, those hardware specs aint gonna make me go o wow on graphics! I wonder if consoles will even be able to game at 1080p 60fps too?

I wonder if consoles will even be able to game at 1080p 60fps too?

I remember sony (or was it microsoft?) claiming their goal was 30fps at 1080p.

As to the rest of your point... my hope lies in the 8 cores being translated into improved multicore performance for PC games.

So the 8GiB of memory will be shared system/video memory for the One? That doesn't sound good for the One, because the CPU will end up competing w/the GPU for memory bandwidth.

The PS4 looks like it has 2.2 GiB of video memory and 8 GiB of CPU memory.

I wonder how wide the memory bus will be on the One and the PS4? 512-bit?

Last edited:
So the 8GiB of memory will be shared system/video memory for the One? That doesn't sound good for the One, because the CPU will end up competing w/the GPU for memory bandwidth.

The PS4 looks like it has 2.2 GiB of video memory and 8 GiB of CPU memory.

I wonder how wide the memory bus will be on the One and the PS4? 512-bit?

Well that is a bit of different news associated with that.

As far as I new both systems had 8GB of Shared Ram, via system and video card usage. Now we new some of the specs from the PS4 what it required for the OS as of having 3.5GB OS / 4.5GB Game with the potential of a floating 1GB... maybe advisable to the Game (probably limiting online functions to squeeze the extra memory.

Now the X1, first time I heard of its requirements for the OS. Giving 3GB for OS / 5GB for Game. Little more headroom at least.

Though anything more between these 2 systems it is by far leaps and bounds improved with adviable memory for the game side compared to squeezing everything into a 512MB space (minus OS take). Even 5-6 years ago when it was released, that seemed small, least this sounds like it will help push the system for many years to come.

HOw do the PS4 and Xbone CPU's compare to modern X86 CPU's? Are they based on top-of-the-line AMD 64-bit CPUs'?

HOw do the PS4 and Xbone CPU's compare to modern X86 CPU's? Are they based on top-of-the-line AMD 64-bit CPUs'?

Its an AMD Jaguar based 8-Core CPU. Speed wise I thought it was slow at something like 1.6Ghz but they are going for threaded apps, not brute force in the new consoles.

Its an AMD Jaguar based 8-Core CPU. Speed wise I thought it was slow at something like 1.6Ghz but they are going for threaded apps, not brute force in the new consoles.

they're also shooting for hUMA... which should pump the graphic and processing power of the APUs through the roof... ideally.

they're also shooting for hUMA... which should pump the graphic and processing power of the APUs through the roof... ideally.

hUMA still means the GPU and CPU will be contending for access to the same, slow, system memory. System memory that has bandwidths that are a fraction of what modern video cards have access to. For gaming, any applied AA will only increase the bandwidth contention issues between the CPU and GPU.

Back