• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I found something usefull that glows under UV :eek:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
OK, this blew my mind!!
I was out in my shed putting away the lawn mower after some healthy yardwork on Friday afternoon, when I looked over to the side and I see my weed wacker sitting there. I look at the string on the end of it, and just said to myself "mmmm... I wonder..."
So I cut off a small piece of the string (the green plastic kind) and brought it into my office. I waited until it went dark outside, turned the light off, turned my UV light on, and OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: the thing glows brighter than my UV dye filled water!!!!
I went back out to the shed, grabbed my spare roll of weed wacker string, brought it inside, and proceeded to cut/superglue some pieces of it into my case.
If you have a UV-CCFL you can get that EL cable outlined parts look without running any extra wires or drawing any more power off of your PSU!!!!
Here's the proof:
this is my case with the side panel off
ghengiskhan97.jpg

I cut off a small piece and glued it to the center of my NB fan
ghengiskhan98.jpg

and here's my case with the side panel on (window covers all but about 1 inch on every side)
ghengiskhan99.jpg

*edit*
had to mess with the pictures to get them small enough to go on theforumisdown.com
*edit*

Last edited:
I want to see this so bad, try to get the pics working at like theforumisdown.com.

I see the pics, and holy crap, you're right, that stuff does really glow. Hhhmmm... Funny thing is, I was gonna do some wedd whacking today, looks like I'll have something to do after too.
Nice find, I woulda never thunk it.

i have been picking up a bit of interest in mods lately, and i did a couple myself, but i must say, i am impressed by "bang-for-the-buck" mods and the ghetto'er, the better.

i give you 2 thumbs up for originality, creativity, and ghettomanship...... good thinking, and the small bit of the string on the northbridge is sweet.

i have a black light around here somewhere, and i am going to look through some of my old fishing tackle and dig up some of the odd colored florescent lines i used to use....especially the green, and the ever popular clear/blue. i have some in 30lb test monofilament, and it might be thick enough to do something with. maybe just a few strands dangling from my intake fans or something..he he he ...i can imagine them blowing in the wind and looking like lightning..well, sorta.....
:rolleyes: :thup: :thup:

I am really impressed with that . I do have one question though , are you using only one UV light in that case ? its just that It seems very bright . But its looks like I'm replacing that green cathode with one of those babys!

Looks great, but I'm very sure it is dependant on the brand and/or type of string used. I used to mow lawns on the side, and I dealt with this stuff quite a bit, and there are many different kinds. I'm assuming that must be the stuff that is almost white in color, thats probably the only kind that works. I used the red all the time, because of its durability(this stuff is classified on durability by its color) but I'm sure it wouldn't work... would like to be proved wrong though. I have some clearish/orange stuff, wonder if that would work...

I had 2 different types/brands sitting in the shed, and I used both. they both came out exactly the same in the UV light (which is a 15" 120V one that is mounted on the wall next to my case)

As for the orriginal color, it was a bright green. It just looked like it would glow under UV, so I tried it.

And as for it being ghetto, yes, I guess you could call it a ghetto mod since it wasn't made specificly for PC mods, but it looks very professionaly done, not like most mods that I've heard called "ghetto" before.

Pretty impressive.

Maybe one day you can find out how to use a rake in a case. :D

you can buy it at Home Depot, or any hardware/gardening store, it's called replacement line for a weed wacker. I've seen it in a couple colors and I'll be grabing a couple of them to see what the others look like in UV light. I saw the green, a redish orange , white, and even a blue.

TheGhengisKhan said:
I had 2 different types/brands sitting in the shed, and I used both. they both came out exactly the same in the UV light (which is a 15" 120V one that is mounted on the wall next to my case)

As for the orriginal color, it was a bright green. It just looked like it would glow under UV, so I tried it.

And as for it being ghetto, yes, I guess you could call it a ghetto mod since it wasn't made specificly for PC mods, but it looks very professionaly done, not like most mods that I've heard called "ghetto" before.

just to be clear...i said ghetto as a compliment, as it is more respected than buying pre-modded items, and involves more thinking and creativity on the part of the modder. maybe i used the word too loosely, but i meant it as a compliment, and didn't intend to make the mod sound.."cheap" ;)

My wife is gonna be POed when I take all the weedeater line and use it on PCs! WOOT, good find. This works twice as good as now I can say sorry honey I am out of weedeater line, have to cut it tomorrow :D
I can't wait to test this when I get hone, I have three 1000yrd spools of green, orange, and an offwhitish yellow. ;)

madsam said:
just to be clear...i said ghetto as a compliment, as it is more respected than buying pre-modded items, and involves more thinking and creativity on the part of the modder.

If someone calls my case "Ghetto" I smile inside :)

Ghetto is actually a big compliment in some modding circles.

Back