• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Satisfaction with Western Digital Raptor drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Are you satisfied with your Raptor?

• Happily moved from 7200 or better to raptor 36GB

Votes: 97 29.9%
  • Happily moved from 7200 or better to raptor 74GB

Votes: 143 44.1%
  • Dissatisfied moved from 7200 or better to raptor 36GB

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Dissatisfied moved from 7200 or better to raptor 74GB

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Happily moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 36GB

• Happily moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 74GB

• Dissatisfied moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 36GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dissatisfied moved from a 5400 or slower to raptor 74GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral opinion, or no better than previous drive

Votes: 47 14.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
To those who own, or have owned a 36 or 74GB Raptor, you're welcome to provide your thoughts on the drive.

*edit*

Two words: Wicked Fast. :burn:

This thing makes me boot win2k in roughly half the time of my Seagate 7200.7 40GB drive. Silent runner once it spins up, but those seeks are noisy. Don't mind it since they aren't constant, helps me know the drive is running. I'm extremely satisfied.

Last edited:
I am really satisfied with the transition from my 7200 rpm Seagate to my 2x36 gb Raptor RAID setup. Everything is so crisp. Apps and games load very fast imho...

I am extremely satisfied with my 74GB Raptor. The difference is there and nobody can tell me different. :sn:

74GB one here. If it's any worthy indication of speed, I recently had to reinstall Windows on a 7200 RPM drive. The installation took noticeably longer on the 7200 drive (I did not time it, though). With the Raptor, I can boot in Windows within 15 minutes.

Was it worth the price? Yes and no. The speed is very nice, but storage space can be a concern. For some, 36GB/74GB may not be enough, but it's usually ample for me (I do sometimes wish I had more space, even with my 120GB drive installed).

i love the drive i have a 74 gb raptor and i can get to the log on screen of windows in under 30 seconds from the time i press my power button. 4 passes of that blue bar and then its done. used to have seagate 80 gb 7200 sata and this was a nice upgrade

Good poll VooDoo Rufus. I voted that I "Happily moved from 7200 to 74Gb Raptor" but since there is no option about the money aspect, I just have to add that I am definately happy with the Raptor's performance, I'm just still trying to decide if the performance increase is worth the extra cost:-/

mines the olny vote for upgrading from a 7200rpm and not being happy - its a bit faster at loading stuff il grant you, but was it worth the extra cost? NO! get 2 7200rpm drives, raid em, have the same performance and double the storage space.

I happily upgraded from a 40 Gig 7200 rpm to 36 Gig Raptor, then happily moved to 2x120 gig WD 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0.
I play a lot of Far Cry online and I am always the first one in a new map.

I still use the raptor on my second computer but it is not getting fully utilized there.

to tell u the truth it wasnt. my raptor my dad had a 36GB. my comp hard went dead for some reason ( i think it was faulty or somthing ). any way i used his for like 5 monthes and man that was a life saver so im happy but also Neutral.

I paid $87 dollars to shave 25 seconds off my boot time? WTH?
(I got the 36GB, if I had got the 74 I'm willing to bet it would be slightly faster :p)

(Edit: RAID is definately the way to go for about the same price :p)

I use two 36 gig drives in RAID 0 for windows and apps, and have a 120WDSE for storing everything else. I am very pleased with them. In network games, I am nearly always the first person loaded.

I went from 2 80g WD SE's in Raid-0 to 2 36g Raptors in Raid-0. The difference was amazing when it came to load times. I have since went from the 2x36 to one 74g Raptor since I can only use 2 locked SATA ports on my Neo2. I just posted a comparison of the Raptor and My 7200rpm SATA Maxtor in the thread (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=356806) where you can see the difference in performance.

My Raptors have been fantastic they are being run in RAID 0..
From my point of view they blow away the 7200's especially when it come to video editing

My Maxtor DiamondMax 10 slightly outperforms my 36.7 GB Raptor in transfer speeds (both burst & sustained), so I'm not as big a proponent of that drive as others are. Seek times are a different story.

However, when I first moved to a pair of 36.7 GB Raptor's, it was from a pair of WD 120 GB Caviar SE's and I did notice an increase in system response & snappyness. As for game loads, well I don't use the Raptor's for anything but Windows and a few other high-load applications (Photoshop, Maya & Premiere), and I see a little faster system response versus a straight 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache drive.

All in all, a happy move on both fronts. :)

It makes me love my hard drive setup. Everything is much crisper and much faster after moving to a 10,000RPM.

I voted neutral.
Load times and application opening are decidedly quicker, my baby Raptor IS somewhat louder than my Seagate SATAs and runs hotter (by two C).
I don't think I would buy one new ( mine came from our Classifieds), but I'm moderately happy that I have it.

mata2974 said:
Can somebody tell WD about this thread ????!!!! LOL

Why?

I dont have one yet but I am looking at getting 2 in a raid 1 for security when I muster the money. I love the security of raid 1 over 1 drive.

My fastest drive was a 120gb ATA100 WD SE on the 1100mhz system. My new system will blow that away no doubt. I will make my vote after I have it all up and running.

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back