• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need 120x38 fan recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustanley

What would you suggest I use on a 2-302 heater core? I just got a p182 case and I'm trying to cut the noise to a minumum. The heater core will be external and I plan on running the fans off a rheobus. I'd prefer to stick with two fans not only because of cost but also for quiets sake.

I was thinking of a couple Delta tri blade EFB1212SHE... will these be just as quiet as the low speed model when I lower the volts on the rheobus?

I appreciate the help :beer:

The Deltas are definitely the loudest of them all. If you're really into quiet you will notice a little hum they make. Someone else had to point that out to me because I don't really care if it's loud or not. For silence, I would go with a Yate Loon fan. Specifically the D12SL. However, if you really want to stay with a 120x38 check out the Panaflos too.

The triblades undervolt quite nicely. I have some of the high speeds and they work well on a PWM.

My serious fans list sorted by "priority" :

EBM/papst
Sanyo Denki
Panaflo (dunno current NMB has the equal quality with the old "panaflo" brand)
Delta

.. and "others" :D

Panaflo (dunno current NMB has the equal quality with the old "panaflo" brand)
NMB acquired the old Panaflo brand. They're the same now. SPCR and some other "serious" fan users (if there is such a thing) have started to dismiss Panaflos as midrange in terms of quality. I would look for Sanyo Denki fans. They still make a great product. If you're after silence, though, almost every 120x38mm fan out there has bearing noise, and you have to use 120x25mm fans if you want to avoid that.

Currently I'm using some 108CFM Sunons and they don't undervolt very well and the bearing noise really gets to me even now with my not so quiet setup. Of course I bought them back in the late 90's so I sure can't fault them for their longevity.

I'll hunt for some sanyo denki's. I've seen them for sale occasionally here in the classifieds, but I won't hold my breath.

Wish I could find a blower with similar dimensions to the 2-302. Ah well, thanks for the recommendations. If anyone has other suggestions or links I'd really appreciate it.

Yup, that's the right model number. You should be able to find them for a little cheaper, though.

Got that particular model of Sanyo Denki that has been running for 7 years at 24/7 ! Real good stuff ! :thup:

=

Honestly check ebay for the fans, you have to hunt and peck but I pulled 10 80x38 Delta tri blades out for 20.00 iirc.

I use Deltas where I can on my rigs (1x modified to fit on my original BT, 1x as a side mount intake blowing over the vid cards and MB, other rigs have them as well) and have no complaints about them. the intake one has a thermal controller on it so it doesnt go full blast until it is needed.

Would 4 yate loons in a push/pull config with shrouds perform as well as 2 sanyo denki or delta 120x38mm fans... and would 4 of them be quieter than two 120x38's? Remember this unit will be external.

With a heatercore, 120x38mm fans are going to supply a lot of that much needed pressure. The Yate Loons will definitely be quieter, but they likely won't give you the same performance. If you're a near-silent kind of guy, you want the Yate Loons. If you don't mind a little hum, get the Sanyo Denkis.

The Panaflo M1's undervolt really well. I have a bunch of them. If your using them on a RAD, you might consider a shroud to reduce some noise.

What would you suggest I use on a 2-302 heater core? I just got a p182 case and I'm trying to cut the noise to a minumum. The heater core will be external and I plan on running the fans off a rheobus. I'd prefer to stick with two fans not only because of cost but also for quiets sake.

I was thinking of a couple Delta tri blade EFB1212SHE... will these be just as quiet as the low speed model when I lower the volts on the rheobus?

I appreciate the help :beer:

2-302...those numbers sound really familiar for some reason.

120 x38mm fans for the 2-302: SanAce 109R1212H101, or the model immediately prior to it.

If you get some SanAces, make sure you check the lube in the bearing - some have apparently been lingering in warehouses long enough to where they need a drop or three of medium-light oil before you fire them up.

Now that I think about it, I believe I have a case (maybe two) out in the shop...

a shroud will help the cooling performance of a 2-302 considerably but I will refrain from naming any particular shroud model/maker. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Delta-120mm...oryZ3673QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought two of these and they push an insane amount of air. Be sure to get a fan controller though cause the noise will drive you crazy.

at that noise to cfm ratio, i would just go for a TFB1212GHE and get almost double the airflow for a bit more noise.

Also, when it comes to these high flow, high RPM fans, you really really need to consider the fact that 90% of fan controllers (or 100% in the case of TFB's) cannot take the wattage or ampage of these fans. The pots will overheat and fail within minutes. Just be aware that an average fan ampage is in the order of 0.5amps. Some of the higer flow deltas (haven't look at the specs for other brands, but i'm sure they are similar) run upwards of 3 or 4 amps.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've ended up getting 4 sanyo denki fans. I'll probably mount all 4 with shrouds and run them down as low as possible. Then I might drop down to only two and see how much of differnece it makes in temps and noise. I'm thinking that since I'm only cooling this X2 3800 cpu that 2 fans will be sufficient.

There are upgrade plans over the next month involing new board and quad cpu and I might add a waterblock to my 8800gts. At that point I might be back to using all 4.

Back