• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uneven cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mreff555

I have been slowly raising my core multipliers on my i7 2600k and running prime 95 to make sure it's staying within an acceptable range of heat. What I cant figure out is that each core behaves very differently

cores 0,2, and 3 barely make a difference in the overall clock speed, they also don't really have heating issues. core 1 is the opposite. it seems to make the biggest different in both heat generation and clock speed

Can anybody explain this? I haven't really adjusted anything other than the multipliers. I hear a lot of people talking about playing with vcore, but mine is already at 1.24.

Right now my multipliers are at 41,37,38,38 giving me a clock speed of 3703.36. So far the highest stable speed I've found. After an hour on the max heat test in prime 95 my core temperatures are at 57C,62C,61C,57C

I've turned up 0,2 and 3 but it doesn't really change much I think the clock speed actually went down.

Last time I tried adjusting core one, I set the multipliers to 41,38,38,38
My clock shot up to 3807.46 but after about 30 minutes it hit 71C. (I refuse to run my processor over Tcase values)

Not much help, but maybe to ease your mind a little, my I7 runs a tad hotter on cores 2 and 4. I have tried everything, making sure water block was on evenly,made sure tim was evenly distributed 5 different ways,used high end tim and they always stayed hotter.Seems normal since my cousin has the same thing.I don't think it is anything to worry about but I am not 100% sure.Mine has been fine without any issue for almost a year now.Even oc's as it should.Good luck, just thought I would share that.

Its normal for cores not to be identical. The heatsinks don't always sit exactly squared and centered on the cores. I have seen as much as 10 degrees difference in cores when fully loaded,

With a decent cooler you can stay below 70°C and run that 2600k at 4,4Ghz or even 4,5Ghz.
Stock cooler aint gonna cut it , no.
But you set different multies per core, so that's why they behave different from eachother. The clockspeed is obvious since every core will behave like an independant cpu.

So let me get this straight, your 2600k, which runs from the factory at a default 34x multi,
uses turbo boost to go 38x multi per core, resulting in a factory 3,8Ghz when under load.
Fitted with the intel stock cooler it will give you all the warranty you ever need.
And you will run at higher clocks than you are now.
So do I understand it correctly you underclock your cpu because you want it to stay below 70°C under load?

You could leave all at auto, this wil give you 3,8Ghz and even clockspeed per core for all cores, then set offset voltage, something like -0.010. Try experimenting until you get about 1.180v when under full load. Your cpu should be stable at that voltage and the default turbo speeds. When all is auto, voltage is about 1.225v for cpu, thus lowering that will reduce overall temps when under full load.

Anyway, your cpu is certified to run 3,8Ghz per core, no sense in underclocking it unless when trouble shooting instability issues.
And if you are really worried about temps, you could disable the turbo altogether and stay at 3,4Ghz.

But if I read you correctly, you want as much speed as possible without breaking your temp barrier. So get a better cooler for that.

So let me get this straight, your 2600k, which runs from the factory at a default 34x multi,
uses turbo boost to go 38x multi per core, resulting in a factory 3,8Ghz when under load.

Strange enough the factory settings had the cores set at 30,37,36,35
So when they rate a processor to that 3.8Ghz are they saying that "all the cores can hit that speed" or "one of them can"

As for a cooler. I have an H100 which in my opinion does an amazing job compared to stock. My machine idle's just over ambient 22C to 25C
I have turned cores 1 and 4 up as high as 42x and they only hit 58C with prime 95

Core 1 on the other hand. heats up much faster than the others just going from 37x to 38x my max temperature goes from 61C to 71C

Back