• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp keeps rebooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I have a new copy of xp pro and just in the last few days my sys keeps rebooting like I hit the reset button. It does not give a error message, it just resets. I will post the error report that it keeps wanting to send the next time it gives it to me. what could be wrong?

What are your CPU temps? I suppose its possible a fan died and your system is overheating as a result.

this tends to happen on slower systems, i know i had problems with XP and my 533EB, so i used sk pro and tis fine. you have 1ghz so i don't think thats it, maybe your power supply is bad?

so it started the random reboots right after you went to XP ??
not sure what in XP would cause that, i have XP running on slower machines and they work fine.

my computer started to do the random reboots awhile back when my PSU was starting to fail, donno if thats the case but its something to look into.

did you turn off the auto restart on error "feature"?

if not (or you don't know) right click on my computer-->properties-->advanced-->start up and recovery[settings]-->system failure[untick the automatically restart button]

other usual suspects are faulty/dead ram and faulty psu.

it did it again and this time I was just downloading songs!!! It can go through a bench mark with no problem. This is the error it gave me. "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" I have no idea what it meens. please help.

I recieved that message on my current system. The problem was a manufacture's unapproved driver for XP that I was using with my USB Network Adapter (linksys).

I got a new network adapter card. One that I new would work with XP. They are cheap besides the pci card is much faster, 10/100 vs. 10 for the USB.

Try seeing if you can get some 'official' signed drivers for your NIC.

David

Back