• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing case question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I had one of the gateway tower cases. My question is this: If I get a new case will the ports of the motherboard, going to be an MSI one I believe, fit? Is there a standard that motherboard manufacturers follow? Or does gateway just install that metal flap to try and prevent using a different motherboard in their case? TIA

it will depend on the lay out of the “I/O plate” if I understand your question right but you can always call up the manufacture for a new one it shouldn’t be much at computer shows their a $1 and about $5 on price watch then again you could just make one

Do these I/O plates differ? Are the made specidically for certain motherboards? And you did understand my ? correctly. Thanx

This is a pic of the standard ATX style of I/O, if the back of the motherboard has extra stuff your stuck but if not your all set to go

21086229.jpg

I'm going to see if the motherboard fits, but I wanted to know if the plate is necessary? Or does it just keep dust out?

Ok, I see what you’re saying now. Well for that you will need to find out what “form factor” the motherboard is here is a link to a place that explains it http://www.pcguide.com/ref/case/form_MicroATX.htm and here is my template on ATX / ITX “form factors” (you should be fine unless your motherboard has a riser and your PSU only has one big connector going to it and not 2 smaller ones // that would be a baby AT style)

20343414.jpg

IO plates may differ from one MB to another. But when you buy MB you should get a IO plates compatible with that MB.

The stock I/O plate will be fine. I have the same case, which came from the factory with a P166 MMX setup. Popped in a Gigabyte S370 Board and it fit like a glove. :)

Back