• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x850xt and duron question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackNSally

Would an x850xt be overkill for a duron? I do plan on overclocking the duron, it's a 1.8g model. Using and Abit NF7-S V2.0 and some high quality ram (Ballistix or PQI Turbo).

If you have the $ to spend on a x850, you have the $ to upgrade the CPU.

Don't bother getting an AGP x850 if all you have is a duron.

If I were in your shoes, Id look at picking up a 9800 or consider upgrade the entire machine.

For the price of an X850xt, you can get an nForce4, 3000+ and X700pro. I think overall you would be happier with the Athlon64.

Also, to me, no card is ever overkill. You will definantly lose frames due to the slower cpu, some games may even be unplayable. But, if you have a fast card, you can run all the eye candy you want with no apparent hit.

Uh yeah, mucho overkill. Whats the FSB on that CPU anyway? Deffinetly get a new system with a weaker card than the X850XT for the same cost as the X850XT, trust me, you will be much better off in the long run.

Getting it off e-bay. :p
FSB? At least 200 (DDR400). At least that's what I am going to running it at.

Look into something along the lines of an X800XL or X800Pro, and a more modern processor/motherboard.

Back