• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm new to AMD, are these listed wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RIG RIDER said:
http://shop2.outpost.com/search?que...y=p03a&cat=-51580&pType=pDisplay&from=0&to=24
I'm just starting to look at the AMD opterons and I'm wondering if Outpost.com listed the opterons wrong? I thought they were called 144~146~148, not 244~246~248! Any info on this matter would help me make a decision on what to get as far as dual core cpu's. Thanks for taking the time to reply, if you do :)

I'm not too familiar w/ Opteron numbers...but I think the 2xx ones are higher performing...more expensive ones...and they MIGHT be dual core...I'm not totally sure, but...I know that the 2xx line is different than the 1xx, so until someone else posts...that's all I can offer :D Good luck.

Thanks for the replys, and that makes sence about the 940 server socket. Thanks
The 165, if I can scrape the money up I will. What board if I'm use too Asusp4p800E, would you use for the opty?

The 2xx are for dual cpu systems(not to be confused to dual core) and use socket 940.

There are four different Opteron categories:
1xx - Socket 939 - These are either single or dual core
1xx - Socket 940 - Intended for single socket/processor systems
2xx - Socket 940 - Intended for up to two socket/processor systems (not to be confused with dual core)
8xx - Socket 940 - Intended for up to eight socket/processor systems

Edit: x42-x54 are single core (ie Opteron 142 Single Core 1-way processor), x65-x80 are dual core (ie Opteron 265 Dual Core up to 2-way processor).

Thanks for the feedback all. I see that the AMD guys are an informed group!
I'm looking to get a dualcore opteron 165, looks to be the best bang for my buck
for overclocking.
Still don't know what board to start looking at though. I have an ASUS now and
like the stability. DFI seem to be the favorite amonst the tweekers. I think I need to start at, overclock and forget it......for awile until I get board and need to start tweeking the opteron.

I am very happy with my Asus board, but I have also heard good things about DFI. The 165 Opteron OC's very easily with stock cooling, especially with the new cpu cooler that it comes with. If you get the 165, pay the $10 more for the boxed version instead of the oem so you can get the cpu cooler.

RIG RIDER said:
Thanks for the feedback all. I see that the AMD guys are an informed group!
I'm looking to get a dualcore opteron 165, looks to be the best bang for my buck
for overclocking.
Still don't know what board to start looking at though. I have an ASUS now and
like the stability. DFI seem to be the favorite amonst the tweekers. I think I need to start at, overclock and forget it......for awile until I get board and need to start tweeking the opteron.
Yea, why do you ask?

Back